Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Glorious, goofy, garden goodies



I know what you are thinking......."Farmchick, what in the hooha are those things?" Well, these are some Tennessee Spinning Gourds. In the 1800's they were used by children as toys. They spin perfectly, just like a top. This is as big as they get.



This cantaloupe is called a Golden Jenny. As you can see it is like a single serving melon. It is wonderfully sweet and juicy.



All of the seeds that Secret Agent Man and I grew in the garden this year came from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. Our garden was full of heirloom vegetables and most everything came out very well. Their seed catalog gives the history of the seed and the area of the United States that they come from. I hope you check them out!


http://www.bakercreekheirloomseeds.com

3 comments:

  1. Is it time for gourds to be ready? I looked for them at the Farmer's Market Friday and they didn't have any. I love your Spinning ones! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have gourds ready. Most of mine have been ready for a couple of weeks now. They should be showing up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't plant any gourds this year but have some that have replanted in the pasture.
    I've never seen the spinning gourds before...Wow!

    ReplyDelete