Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A treasure for one dollar

Here in smalltownland we have a wonderful antique mall, in a very antique building. When you live in a small town people get to know you pretty well. So well in fact that when you enter this antique store you get pointed in the direction of the best new stuff. It's some great customer service. A couple of weeks ago I was digging around in one of the upper level booths. I found a collection of cookbooks that I had never seen before. I love cookbooks and already have far too many, but who can pass up cookbooks for one dollar apiece? I found this book of Norwegian recipes. I am sure you are thinking this is really an odd choice, but when I was growing up I lived in North Dakota for several years. The Norwegian culture was very prominent and the food was awesome. I have even seen Lawrence Welk in concert. How many people can make that claim? This book was published in 1946 and was geared toward the proper housewife of the day.



Each set of recipes is set in a scenario depicting the housewife facing different occasions. One housewife is going to make dinner for her husband's boss, one housewife is going to make a special meal for her son's graduation, etc.... One interesting cookie recipe instructs the baker to place the cookies in a "rather hot oven", hmmmmm.... The book is filled with pen and ink illustrations, some of which would not be politically correct in today's society.




And while I won't actually be using the recipes for making my own caviar or pickling herring, I am enjoying the book just the same.




Since this is New Year's Eve I will leave you with a Rum Punch recipe from the cookbook. And yes, this recipe is verbatim from the book. Enjoy and have a safe New Year's Eve.


PUNCH - One bottle Myers dark rum, 2 pint cans of sweet grapefruit juice, 1 bottle of sherry wine, 6 lemons sliced very thin. Just before serving, add 1 large bottle of pale dry Ginger Ale, 1 medium-sized bottle of maraschino cherries, 1 large lump of ice. Let chill for a few minutes. After two helpings do not worry about the success of your party no matter what you serve them to eat.

6 comments:

  1. That's a treasure!

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I don't think I'll try the punch. I love cookbooks, too. I have many, many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when are you planning to whip up some lutefisk? That'd be a unique addition to the next potluck you attend-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I am a fan of Lefse. Lefse is pretty tame, but I don't think even that would go over well in smalltownland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Very nice and intrestingss story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These styles of recipe books hold a treasure of regional recipes.

    Our church has put together several of these as did our band boosters. Ya always get the best eatin' ever!!!

    God bless and have a glorious week sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete