Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More cookbooks....little cooking



Lately I have been perusing more cookbooks. I happen to own just a "few" cookbooks. I love to read them and I really enjoy older cookbooks. Would this happen to mean that I cook a whole lot.....ummmm, no. Just ask Secret Agent Man. I do cook, but if I cooked all of the recipes that I read/dreamed about, I would be a gourmet chef.

My most recent read is, The Church Ladies' Celestial Suppers and Sensible Advice. Let's just say that these ladies know how to cook and I get the distinct impression that they don't put up with any funny business either. The book is filled with recipes, of course, but also quotes, stories, and church tales. Some of my most favorite quotes would be:


Don't ever mistake my kindness for weakness.

If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.

If you can't judge a book by its cover, why are those men's magazines on the newsstand wrapped in brown paper?



The recipes in the book go from Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese and Heartwarming Neckbones to Pastor's in Trouble Meat Loaf and Tang Pie. Yes, for real, like in the breakfast drink "Tang"!

While reading the recipes I came across one that is going to be a sure fire favorite for me. I can already tell, even before I make it. How do I know? Because it contains one of my all time favorite foods, Spam. Yes, I have now confessed it on the internet. I love Spam. I think I'll make up a dish of this and invite Southern Fried Momma over for a cocktail. She'll never guess what's in this dip.


The Ham-What-Am Dip

1 (12-ounce) can Spam
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 (2-ounce) package ranch dressing mix
6 green onions, washed

Combine all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until well blended. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. Pair with dill-flavored flatbread or triangles of rye toast.

4 comments:

  1. you are funny. I love cookbooks too. I love to read them and then just go cook something without a recipe.
    BUT I draw the line with Spam. I hate that stuff. Blech. However my husband has a daughter who loves it and actually makes elaborate concoctions with the stuff. Ya'll should compare notes. I will pass this on to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're still expanding your collection, I recommend a used copy of the original edition of Camille Glenn's _Heritage of Southern Cooking_- the new edition that came out about two years ago did not include the White Trillium Cake, which is probably her most famous recipe. There's a lot of interesting historical trivia associated with the recipes, so it's good food AND good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - I don't know why I love Spam, I just do. I even have my kids eating it! But, only on occasion....obviously, it's really bad for you.

    AiredaleGirl - I am always expanding my collection! I will be looking up that book ASAP. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookbooks. I have lots of them old and new. I have a 1936 book titled 1001 sandwiches. You wouldn't believe some of the sandwiches in it!

    ReplyDelete