Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's that smell?

Just when I think this blog is becoming a bit mundane, the powers that be send me a little action here at the farmette. A little blogging fodder, if you will. For those of you not in the know, it is the mating season of the skunk. They are out in droves around our part of the country. Many are sighted beside the road, having gone to meet their maker. Leaving behind their beloved scent for all of us to enjoy.

And, quite a few have been spotted here at the farmette. The Deerslayer came running back to the house this afternoon yelling that he had found a "nest". I did not take this well. I am the owner of four crazy dogs and a mom to one curious son. The Deerslayer passed the "sniff" test, but strangely I was missing three dogs in this picture. A few minutes later here comes the pack. The Border Collie and the Australian Shepherd were all good. Smelling like mud, but that was acceptable.



And then my trusty, loyal, faithful companion came running toward me. My Jack Russell, my sleeping buddy, my little snuggler smelled like HECK!






What's a Farmchick to do? I ran upstairs and googled some home made skunk remedies. Because, I just couldn't see tomato juice doing the trick. And quite frankly, all I had was some V-8 and that is for my lunch tomorrow. Here is the remedy that I used. I whipped it up in no time, because I didn't get a "C" in high school chemistry for nothing.




You will need:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda - do not use baking powder
1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid

*Mix all ingredients together in a plastic container. Pour on dog and rub into fur. Allow mixture to soak in for at least ten minutes. Rinse and repeat if necessary.


I actually did not have that much peroxide, but the mixture worked anyway. It took the smell right out of her fur. I have read that if you use this on a black dog that it can discolor the fur.

Tomorrow I am off to the grocery, because I can just see this scene being repeated tomorrow afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this informative concoction as skunks are known to "rut" in the shed behind my house. This causes me great concern as I am scared to death this time of year that I am gonna get sprayed every morning as I go out to my truck.
    If you recall, we captured a baby skunk early May last year. It was the highlight of spring in my neck of the woods.
    I will be stocking up on peroxide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is interesting, I'm glad it worked. They get hit in the road a lot in our area, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you poor, poor girl. My little terriers brought me dead snakes, squirrels, bunny rabbits, birds, and once upon a time, an enormous adult groundhog. My mother got twitchy every time a skunk got through the fence into the yard.

    If SAM lets the dogs get into that skunk nest again without doing anything to get rid of your two-tone "visitors", I say HE gets to do the next round of bathing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to keep this recipe in mind. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until we need it here on the Little Farm!

    ReplyDelete