Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What am I saying?



Once upon a time, long ago, when I lived in the city I had a different vocabulary. Well, I really had quite a different life. There were no children or dogs. No antique farmhouse, no barns, and no skunks. Life was lived in a neighborhood squeezed in between other houses. Social chatter in the neighborhood was polite, dogs did not roam free, and the yard was the size of a postage stamp. Ahhhh...the easy life.

But when Secret Agent Man and I gave up all that glorious living, along came some new vocabulary phrases. When your life changes that drastically, your words change with it. There were, and still are, new things we adapt to everyday. So, when some new cows showed up at the farmette recently I began, yet again, asking:

"Is the cow water on?" - meaning, is the water on at the barn. If so, that would explain the drastic drop in water pressure at the house. Although our antique farmhouse has been renovated, it continues to exude quirky charm.

Another gem, when you might be hungry is:

"Do you want to go to the chicken house?" - meaning, do you want to drive to town and eat at the local fried chicken establishment. And no, it's not Colonel chicken. And no, it really does not mean to go kill a fresh chicken.

And my personal favorite:

"Did you take the trash to the end of the road?" meaning, did you load up all of the crammed packed trash cans in the back of the flashy-mac-daddy farm truck, drive them to the end of our country road, and unload them for the trash man to pick up? People, in my former life all I had to do was haul the trash can out the front door and set it on the curb. In all fairness I have to say that Secret Agent Man does the Sunday night trash run. PTL.

And now, I really must get going. I've got to go turn off the cow water.

4 comments:

  1. City girls....it's always hard for you to adapt. LOL!
    It's hard to remember those days of leisure, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Sarah

    http://laptopseries.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can SO relate to this change in lingo! I'll have to think of a few myself. Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete