Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cock-a-doodle-do...and a little shopping trip

Just today, on my way home from work, I almost ran over a chicken that decided to run across the road. I missed it, thank goodness, and this doesn't have anything at all to do with this post, but I had to tell somebody.

Our little town has a few shops and, for the most part, you can get your necessities right here in Smalltownland. One of my favorite places to go and just browse is the antique mall located on our town square. It is located in an historic building that used to house a dry goods store....WAY back in the day. It still has its original floors and some of the tin ceiling left, but there is no air conditioning. And, the heat in the winter is kind of dicey, at best. So, you have to be serious about your antiques to shop here if the temperatures are in the extreme range.

There are many booths set up by different dealers. I love the old clocks in this booth along with the old cigarette machine......and the old ice chest and the funky, blue shelf unit, etc.....




Although I know this needlework is a reproduction, I still think it is beautiful.




This bed seems so delicate to me. It is on porcelain casters and moves with just the touch of a hand. I can't imagine one of my rowdy kids trying to sleep in this. I do like to imagine who used it and what kind of family it belonged to.




I am still thinking that I might have to go back and buy this painting.


And last, but not least, my favorite piece of this trip.....the pie safe. In good condition with only a couple of replacement tins. I bet that when it was new in the kitchen it was considered a treasure, just like it is now.



I think it is too bad there is not an "Antique Fairy".



8 comments:

  1. I would have to consider going back after that picture, too. I love it. And antiques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all but especially the painting and the pie safe. I've always wanted a Hoosier cabinet.

    - Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi. Parabéns por seu excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil e nossa luta contra o comunismo. Abração

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne - I do have an old Hoosier Cabinet in my kitchen. It is cookbook central for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think you need the picture. Really.
    Orrr....you could buy it and set it aside for a wedding present when the secret squirrel twin gets hitched. That would be a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that pie safeand the painting. your house must be really cool! As in decorating...
    WOW you got a comment in French. Is there a way to translate? I got a chinese one and had absolutely no idea how to read it. I do have a step sister that is fluent in French if you haven't been able to figure it out. How cool is that to have someone in Europe reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorites are the pie safe and picture, too. They look like such a sweet old couple.

    ReplyDelete