Sunday, June 28, 2009

Home is where the ...... dirty laundry is...

This past week Secret Agent Man had business to tend to in our nation's capital. Since we are off on summer break, the chiclets and I decided to tag along. We literally had a whirlwind week of museums, sightseeing, and generally squeezing in as much as the city had to offer, in a week's time. I have to confess that my favorite activity of the week was a visit to The Spy Museum. Awesome tour and information about some inner workings of the CIA and FBI. You can read more about them here.







Many of the places we went to had a lesson to teach. When we went to the Vietnam Memorial, there were several items left in memory of specific soldiers. There were coins, name tags, and flowers. The Smithsonian collects these items, and a few years ago they did a display of all the items that had been left at the wall thus far. This sparked a discussion with the Deerslayer about this historic/controversial time for our nation. Although we had a good discussion, the next day he did ask why he had to keep learning stuff since he was on summer vacation. I was so proud.











Abe is still sitting on his chair. Right where I left him many years ago when we left the city.











We did spend a day at the National Zoo. The Pandas are thriving as are many other animals. You can check them out here. Our favorite activity had to be the gigantic outdoor aviary where you could walk among the birds.













We also made a stop at the National Cathedral. I had actually been there before, but it seemed even more spectacular this time around. And, yes I did take this photo from the top floor observatory. You can read more about the National Cathedral here.






As soon as we arrived home late Friday, we hit the ground running with softball and trap shooting practice. Saturday and Sunday were more of the same, with laundry piled sky high at the house. I would like to say I have it all under control, but that would be a fib. However, it is still good to be home.


In the next few days I will be loading more photos of our trip on Flickr. If you are interested in looking at them, scroll down and click the Flickr badge. It will take you to my photostream.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds so interesting. I'd love to go there someday.
    That Cathedral is beautiful.
    Sometimes the unexpected adventures are the best adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip. Thanks for taking us along. i've always wanted to tour Washington including the Smithsonian and the American Indian Museum. I wonder how long it would take to see all the exhibits in the Smithsonian. Never mind, I'm not going to live that long!

    - Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- what a neat trip! I've never been to DC.

    The cathedral is beautiful. I got a whole new appreciation for cathedrals when I went to France. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Washington, DC twice. Once on a school patrol trip when I was in the 6th grade and once when my youngest son's 8th grade class went there. I love it, but wasn't there long enough to see everything. We also went to Mt. Vernon, and that was wonderful. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete