Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bicuits


Biscuit - n. a soft bread in small cakes
Biscuits are a staple here in the south and there are so many ways to make them. Let's see....Beat Biscuits, Buttermilk Biscuits, Cream of Tartar Biscuits, and Baking Soda Biscuits....just to name a few. Becky, from the Twisted Fence Post, and I were having an e-mail discussion about biscuit making. She did a wonderful post on making her Buttermilk Biscuits, but I had to tell her that I really prefer a Whipping Cream Biscuit. They only take two ingredients and when I bake them on a baking stone, I always have perfect results....even if I leave them in the oven for just a bit too long.
Here you go:
1 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
Mix ingredients gently. The dough will be wet/sticky and add just enough extra flour to make the dough workable. Turn out onto floured surface and pat out into desired thickness. Typically 1/2 inch thickness for me. Cut out biscuits and place them on baking stone. Bake at 450 degrees for "about" 10-12 minutes.
Yes, I am one of those cooks who do not always use precise measurements and/or times. If you like your biscuits really brown just leave them in until they are to your liking. I usually use White Lily self-rising flour, but Becky did encourage me to try some Hudson Cream Flour.
Make sure you have some preserves and butter on hand. My grandpa taught me to pour out a dab of Bob White Fancy Table Syrup onto the plate and mix it with a little cut of butter. Put this on your biscuit and you won't be sorry.

10 comments:

  1. Surprised at such feeble attempt
    at biscuit making,cat's head biscuit's the only southern biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering what the heck that last comment was about? Do you need to do a post on cat's head biscuits???
    I think I'll stick with the recipe you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! (not feeble)And easy. Add a little apple butter......
    Thanks for the shout out!
    Ummmmm....as far as that "other" comment....a cat head biscuit is a just a large biscuit. Can be any type of large biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sounds heavenly. Must try them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your biscuits are baked to perfection and appear to be so tender. I have found that the so called "cat head" biscuits are often so large that the finished product is often too dry or just too much bread. There's a marvelous blend of the baked product when the tops and bottoms are baked to a perfect doneness and the inside is literally melt in your mouth -- almost like a pastry. And I'm with you; I use nothing but White Lily. I so enjoy seeing your photos of local places and reading your comments. Thanks for sharing this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to know what a cat's head biscuit is all about.
    Anonymous sounds a tad jealous of your fabulous biscuit making skillz.
    I call a biscuit bake off...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anonymous - I do know what a "Cat Head Biscuit" is all about. However, they are often too big for true enjoyment, as I find biscuits are really a southern delicacy. And, nothing gives true "foodie" pleasure like eating several biscuits, instead of just one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh lawdy, can I puleeze just come over and eat some? They look simply mouth watering. I think southern biscuits single handedly added the 60 pounds of lardo that now sit on my hips, that wasn't there, when I moved to the south 9 years ago. Yep it was the biscuits, I adore those melt in your mouth yummy perfect.... forget it. See you in the kitchen, I'm getting the sausage out now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like buttermilk biscuits, too. I also bake mine on baking stones. I love baking stones. When we were little we used to mix butter and syrup together on our plate and sop it up with slices of bread. mmm..mmm

    ReplyDelete