Sunday, August 9, 2009

A lesson for us all



This week the chiclets have transitioned back into the school routine pretty smoothly. Toots is an enthusiastic student and always gives me the rundown of her daily activities. I was especially interested when she told me that her new teacher had passed out toothpaste to the class. I said, "What do you mean, toothpaste?" Toots rolled her eyes at me like she is already sixteen and let me know that it was, "the lesson".

The lesson involved the students being grouped into pairs. Each pair received a travel sized tube of toothpaste, a small paper plate and a toothpick. The toothpaste was emptied onto the paper plate and then the students were to put the toothpaste back into the tube...using only the toothpick.

I told Toots that this sounded impossible and she said, "Well, of course it was!"

The teacher regrouped the class and then explained that trying to get that toothpaste back into the tube was just like trying to take back mean or hurtful words that you say to people. It just can't be done, despite your best efforts.

Point well taken.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I wish that someone had done this with my class.

    I recently read Jodee Blanco's book, _Please Stop Laughing at Me_, about bullying. There's one quote that sticks in my mind: "The bully never remembers, but the victim never forgets."

    That's a lot of truth in one brief statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AiredaleGirl - That statement is to true. Words are so hurtful and stay with a person forever....well into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good teacher I thought maybe she was going to discuss the morning death breath, but discussing this is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard this lesson. I'm quit impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea!
    I'll have to keep that one in the back of my mind, just in case I need to use it.
    Great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of that little lesson... but it's so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great point-and expertly made. I may use that one myself.

    When you have time-email me I want to send you a link. tipper@blindpigandtheacorn.com

    ReplyDelete