Friday, August 7, 2009

Long gone, our summer's gone...

The gathering clouds bespread the sky, and the gentle showers descend; the ripening fruits we just descry, as summer is at end.

The Farmer's Almanac 2009,
August Quotation



This week the chiclets went back to school. And although there is still some time left in the season of summer, for us part of it is over. Long gone are the mornings of sleeping late and then enjoying coffee on the front porch, while the dogs lick me to death.






Long gone are the moments of playing around with my camera and catching a squirrel snacking from the city park trash can.






Long gone are those moments where I catch my daughter being sassy beside of the very official sign in front of the National Museum of Art, in Washington, D.C.







Long gone are those moments of silliness at trap shoots around the state.





Long gone are those spontaneous friendships made at local gatherings and the chance to "babysit" a gentleman's new puppy, appropriately named, Dixie-Dog.





The chiclets went back to school with not a problem. However, after previewing my blog post, I believe this Farmchick is sad to see our summer go.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe so many schools have started already! In our school district, the first day isn't until the very end of August. The school board decided to push it back years ago because the county fair is at the end of the month, and if school started any eariler, there would be too many kids missing because they were at the fair showing their animals with 4-H!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that squirrel!
    Summer is almost over here. Another week or so and it'll be up early and off we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great summer you had..special memories indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, man! I well remember those summer days toward the end when we began to hear the neighborhood school's bell ring (buzz) as the staff prepared for the upcoming year. It was our signal that it was almost time to wear shoes again and start class. But we were always excited to see friends we had not seen over the summer months. The kids are almost always happy to see school begin, but I sure understand your angst! C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm kinda sad, too. I don't have little ones anymore, but my college kids start on the 24th. I'm a little sad to see them go...Guess it's time to start planning our fall schedules. You gonna have a fall garden?

    ReplyDelete