Sunday, August 23, 2009

Maker's Mark Brownies

Brownies are a favorite around here. To be honest, I have a recipe that I usually follow. But, I decided to mix things up a bit and use my favorite whisky, Maker's Mark. You can't go wrong with whisky and chocolate people.

Let's check out our motley crew:

3/4 cup of self-rising flour
6 tablespoons sweet butter
3 ounces baking chocolate
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ounces Maker's Mark



Melt the butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler. I used the microwave with good results, checking/stirring the mixture after every 20 seconds or so. After it is melted stir in the sugar, eggs, nuts, vanilla, flour, and whisky. Mix well and don't eat too much of that whisky infused batter.





Preheat you oven to 350 degrees. Pour better into a greased 8x10 inch pan. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until firm. I used a very ancient Glassbake pan with good results.





Meanwhile, try not to hit the whisky bottle too hard so that you will have enough left to make some glaze. You will need:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
1/12 teaspoons whisky
1/8 teaspoons vanilla

Combine all ingredients and stir until smooth. Brush on or pour over brownies.





The flavor of these brownies is delicious. I baked them for the prescribed 25 minutes and they came out cake-like. I prefer my brownies a bit softer and in the future will cut down the baking time a bit.



Enjoy!




7 comments:

  1. I have never thought to put whiskey into my brownies. You have opened my eyes. Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off topic- just wanted to thank you. I was reading your blog and followed your link to the Nature Conservancy. Never knew about it and spent a fun morning yesterday at one near us. (but those brownies do look yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - You can just substitute whisky instead of vanilla. Vanilla is just a lot of alcohol anyway.

    Anonymous - Glad to hear you visited with the Nature Conservancy. They are a great organization that has done a lot of wonderful preservation work here in our county.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, didn't mean to sign it anonymous. That's what happens when you write a post at 6:30am. :) We found a beautiful place to explore in Utah yesterday and discovered several other of their places to explore for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious! And we have a weakness for brownies around here.
    I'll have to try this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!!! These look SO good. I'm not much of a cook (I try real hard but my attempts usually end in burnt or undercooked failure), but I'm going to have to try these.

    Now something off topic ... I noticed that you have The Widow of the South on your virtual bookshelf. Girl, I'm reading this book now and loving it. I was crying last night--as my husband was rolling his eyes--because I got to the part where Zachariah has to leave Carnton. The description of how his hand slipped out of Carrie's about killed me! ;-) Just wanted to share that since I see that you read it, too. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! Chocolate and whiskey? I've gotta try it--looks marvelous!V.

    ReplyDelete