Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hot off the press!

Here in Smalltownland we have a weekly newspaper that would best be described as quaint. It does a pretty good job of keeping up with the local news and covering all of the hard hitting events that happen around town. Not that we have many hard hitting news type events, but anyway.

Every week there is a section of the paper that has small tidbits of news from years gone by. Some of the tidbits are quite historical and some are just fun. Here recently I ran across this little gem. Sorry that it is so cockeyed/lopsided, but you should know by now that is just how I roll.





I am sure you are thinking it a little odd that my local newspaper printed information concerning a terrapin, but for me it is perfectly normal. Obviously, the eating must have been good in this field for Mr. Terrapin, because he did not venture very far. Quite frankly, I am surprised that he lived that long.

I know all of you are on the edge of your seat with anticipation of this week's news publication. Not to worry, I shall keep all of you posted.

9 comments:

  1. I grew up in a small town that also had a local newspaper and always posted who was in town visitng whom:) Love the header pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your pictures are beautiful. You have an eye for photography that is captivating.

    First time stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Changes - We used to have some ladies who published a weekly column that always included who was visiting in town, who had babies and who was sick, etc... Since they have become elderly we haven't had anyone to step up and continue that small town newspaper tradition.

    Pink Fish - Thank you for the compliment. I do enjoy working with my camera and hope to get better. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 29 Years later?!
    That is interesting. I love stuff like that. I used to live in a small town that had a newspaper that filled us in on all the local gossip too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The headline that worried me the most as potential Jay Leno fodder was January, 1994: "Ice Storm Reeks Havoc". It was the banner that day, and so appallingly bad that Mom saved it for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Airedalegirl - Love that one!

    Twisted - You just never know what you will find in the small town newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, please do. Some of us go apeshit over terrapin news, you know. No, really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really cool story!

    Yesterday when I left to take the boy to band practice, there was a turtle in the middle of our street. I had my son call his dad and tell him. Hubby and our daughter captured it and released it in the lake behind the house.

    Somehow, I don't think our turtle will live as long as your terrapin. Too many unruly children to harass it around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I think that is pretty news worthy myself!

    ReplyDelete