Saturday, September 5, 2009

It's all in the barn

This past week all of the cut tobacco was taken out of the fields and transported to barns across our county.



Here it will stay until the leaves dry. Then it will be taken to market where it will be sold by grade.





About a week ago I posted about tobacco being cut here in our area. Known by Name left a comment concerning tobacco farmers in Kentucky. She stated that a farmer let her in on a couple of secrets. First, the farmers grew their own patch of tobacco plants, without the use of chemicals. Second, the chemicals being used on the plants were so strong that steel toed work boots did not last very long.
Growing up my grandmother dipped snuff. Actually, she is in her nineties and she is still dipping snuff. If you received a bee or wasp sting while she was around, you could be sure that some wet snuff was going to be placed on the affected area. To her it was the cure for the sting.
Going through one of my Foxfire books I came across some other tobacco related cures. A wet tobacco leaf, placed on your stomach, was noted to relieve the hiccups. Placing wet chewing tobacco on a smashed fingernail was said to aide in healing. Rabbit tobacco smoke, when blown in the ear, relieves and earache. I am afraid I need to do a little research on "rabbit tobacco". That's a new one on me.
Anyone else have any tobacco related cures/tales?

3 comments:

  1. No, but I have heard most of those. I don't know what rabbit tobacco is either. But it seems I've heard somewhere over the years that blowing smoke in someone's ear will ease an ear ache. Never tried it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No interesting tobacco tales, but thanks for sharing some with us! :) I remember seeing tobacco drying on my first visit to Mexico 13 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures ... and they look very familiar. We have a lot of tobacco farming just across the river from us, and this time of year the barns are always full of the drying leaves.

    ReplyDelete