Monday, September 7, 2009

Sweet Potato Biscuits

I think I have tried making several types of biscuits in my kitchen. Everything from buttermilk to cream of tartar, but these I really like. I won't pretend that everyone in my family thinks they are great. Secret Agent Man said that he prefers my Whipping Cream Biscuits. However, I think you should give this recipe a try. I think you might like it.

This recipe actually comes from the cookbook, Screen Doors and Sweet Tea, Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook. Written by Martha Hall Foose, it is one of my personal favorites. Not only is it full of authentic southern recipes, but each one carries a unique story with it. It is a very enjoyable read and the pictures aren't so bad either.

Okay...maybe we should get started.

You will need:

1 cup mashed, baked sweet potato (about 2 medium)
2/3 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoons sugar




Mix together the milk, sweet potato, and butter. I know my butter does not look fully melted in this picture, but it was plenty soft. At this stage make sure that this potato mixture is smooth.



Add the flour and sugar. Gently blend this mixture and it will create a very soft dough. Actually, I think it is more of a cross between a thick cake batter and a very soft biscuit dough. Not something you will work with your hands.


Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a prepared baking surface. I used my trusty, old, baking stone.




Bake for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees or until the biscuits are an orange tinged brown.




Enjoy with plenty of butter and sorghum.




4 comments:

  1. Yummy-I won that cook book from Dejoni-I need to try those biscuits for sure.

    Loved the tobacco post too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah buddy, I'll be right over is the coffee hot?
    Noble Pig would love this, she is a sweet tater fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tipper - The blueberry muffins in that cookbooks are excellent as well....as are several other recipes!

    Karen - Coffee is on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not heard of sweet potato biscuits before. Definitely worth trying. And your pictures make them look yummy!

    ReplyDelete