Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hungry hunters and some Chicken No Peek

Today a motley crew of people converged upon my house for dinner....lunch for those of you not residing in the south. This would include the following:

1 Southern Fried Momma
1 Farmchick (me)
4 kids
and 7 hungry hunters

Needles to say we went through some food. Our menu included, Chicken No Peek, tossed salad, Whipping Cream Biscuits, and for dessert, Ski Cake and Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie. I have the recipe for the biscuits on my blog and will be sharing the two dessert recipes in the days to come. Today I will give you the recipe for Chicken No Peek. This is a one dish kind of meal full of vegetables. I found this recipe in one of my "church lady" cookbooks and changed it around a bit to suit the needs/tastes of my family. You know....church ladies are all knowing when it comes to feeding a crowd....or anybody for that matter.


Chicken No Peek

1 cup water
3 teaspoons of chicken base (instead of chicken bouillon)
5 skinless/boneless chicken breasts
5 potatoes, peeled, washed and quartered
1 small package of baby carrots
1 large onion, peeled, washed, and sliced
4 stalks of celery
1/2 medium head of cabbage, cut into 8 sections
1 small can of mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Mrs. Dash, original blend

In a large casserole dish, place water and chicken base. Stir around the chicken base until well blended. Place chicken in bottom of casserole and vegetables on top of chicken. Cover vegetables with mushroom pieces. Place spoonfuls of soup around the top of the vegetables. Sprinkle entire casserole with Mrs. Dash. Cover the pan with foil and bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 1&1/2 hours.

This is what the dish looked like right before I placed it in the oven. Chicken on the bottom with the vegetables loaded on top. I like to spray my foil (the side that will touch the vegetables) with some non-stick spray, so that the cabbage will not stick.




This is the dish after cooking. The cabbage and veggies cook down making a nice soup/gravy.





If you have never used chicken base instead of bouillon, it is worth trying. It can be found in the grocery next to the bouillon. It comes in a jar and is the consistency of paste. It is used in recipes, soups, stews, etc.... It imparts a much richer flavor than regular bouillon. If you are reading this and you live in my area, please note that I cannot find it at Kroger....only at Wal-Mart.

I hope you take the time to try this recipe. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. So good! Dinner was fabulous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I'm taking the recipe back to WM. Our Kroger does carry the base, up here in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this really sounds like a good dish and simple to make... for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...that looks really good. Definitely will be trying this one out on my family this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope you didn't feed Daddy. He's taken two weeks off for deer season and if he likes the food, you may never get rid of him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dinner looks great. And I really can't wait to hear about your desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy sounds so good-and sounds like a fun day too : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used chicken base. Didn't even know what it was, even though I've heard of it.
    Thanks for telling us. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at the Walmartz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Airedalegirl - Doc showed up, so I am surprised that your dad wasn't with him. I had a couple of "surprise" hunters roll through the back door, but we had plenty of food. Harry is always welcome! And so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds and looks soooo good - I think that is going on my "to cook" list! Thanks - and Happy Thanksgiving! Cathy

    ReplyDelete