Friday, November 27, 2009

The recipe for Ski Cake...in all of its glory

In this post I am going to share my recipe for Ski Cake. Once again, I have to say, that I came across this recipe while combing through some beloved, "Church Lady", cookbooks. You know the ones...the collection of recipes from treasured ladies of the church, put together in a spiral bound book, and sold to raise money for the church. In my opinion, these cookbooks are some of the best collection of recipes. Made by real women, raising kids, and cooking with real ingredients you find in your local grocery store.

But, enough of my rambling.....let's get started.

You will need one box of lemon supreme cake mix, one box of instant lemon pudding, three eggs, 3/4 cup of oil, and one can of Ski soda. I realize that many of you reading this may not have access to Ski. You could try a substitute such as Mt. Dew or Sundrop. In my opinion they have a watered down taste compared to Ski, but for the purposes of the recipe they may be suitable.




I always put the cake mix and pudding mix in the Kitchenaid and incorporate them very well. Next, add the eggs and oil. Slowly blend in the soda, as it tends to fizz a lot.





Make sure all ingredients are well blended and your batter is smooth. A few lumps are normal. Pour the batter into a bundt pan that has been generously sprayed with a non-stick spray. I have always used a non-stick spray instead of greasing/flouring the pan as the recipe calls for. I get excellent results with it.

Place in a 375 degree (preheated) oven. Bake for 30 minutes.





At this point it is imperative to have good kitchen help. You know, the cake bowl and beater need to be cleaned.





When the cake comes out of the oven I usually let it cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Then I go ahead and place it on a cake stand. You will want to glaze this cake while it is still warm.

Combine 1 cup of powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of Ski. Mix well and pour over cake. You will have quite a bit of Ski left after you open another can....pour it over a copious amount of ice, in a tall glass, and enjoy.




This recipe is a favorite in my house and I have made it many times. It is virtually a no fail recipe. Here is the recipe straight out of the cookbook.

Ski Cake

1 box lemon pudding cake mix
1 small pkg. lemon instant pudding mix
12 oz. Ski
3 eggs
3/4 oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine cake mix, pudding mix, Ski, eggs, and oil in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended. Pour into greased and and floured bundt pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan. While warm, pour glaze over the cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Ski (Or it says you could use water, but I would consider that a total sin!)

Mix ingredients together and pour over warm cake.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Farmchick, thanks for stopping by my blog and for your great comments. That is one mighty fine looking cake! Unfortunately I am able to get my hands on most of the ingredients but I imagine it tastes divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!
    And has peaked my curiousity. I have copied it down and will be trying this one. Minus the SKI. I'll have to use the other choices, since there's no SKI around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if Squirt would be a good substitute for Ski, since I cannot find it here.

    Cake looks/sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. azn8tive - Squirt will work I am sure. Any type of lemon/citrus soda could substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have I lived in a hole my entire life? What is Ski soda? I have never heard of it. I really need to get out more... Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this recipe. I had this cake when I was younger and loved it... But who doesn't love Ski? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ski is a lemon and orange pop made with real fruit juice. I have grown up on it and let me tell ya it's the best ! The cake is good too !!!!!

    ReplyDelete