Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Goodbye Dear Friend

Once upon a time I was the young-ish mom of a toddler, who happened to be spending a couple of weeks of summer vacation with her parents, (The Babs and Mr. B), in sunny Florida. One afternoon, while The Babs was watching The Deerslayer, I high jacked her car and drove to a local animal shelter. There I adopted a tiny, yet very handsome, Border Collie pup. I then drove to my parent's home where my mother proceeded to have, "a spell", when I showed up with a surprise dog. I promised to hole up in the spare bedroom with the over-active toddler and pup for my remaining few days. It still didn't go over well.....Mr. B thought he was quite handsome as well.

A few days later I threw that toddler in his car seat and put a kerchief on that pup, and away we all went. Life went on and it was good.




The boy and the dog became fast friends.


The dog didn't even mind if you tried to dress him for the weather. He was very understanding.


He even loved a good trip floating down the river. Through the years I think we have taken him many, many places. He has been a wonderful companion to our family for eleven years.



Today he passed away and I cannot tell you how much he will be missed.


Here, gentlemen, a DOG teaches us a lesson in humanity.
Napoleon Bonaparte




14 comments:

  1. My sincerest condolences on the loss of your beloved Border Collie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute. I'm sure he felt as lucky to be yours as you were to be his.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of the loss of your family's beloved Border Collie!
    I have lost several of my own over the years and I know how heartbreaking it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this the same dog that is in your Christmas picture for this year? If so, aren't you glad that you got it? So sorry for all of you.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. It's always hard to let them go- we've mourned a lot of great dogs in our time, too. Hope that you'll all work through this eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad when they pass and I send my condolences as well. But he obviously had a very happy and healthy life with your family and was much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss....I know by experience how much it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe he's gone. He's been with you all forever. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After I looked at the other pictures, I realized that this wasn't the same dog. I couldn't "unpublish" my comment.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tribute to your sweet, handsome doggy. We lost our Ralphy two year ago and not a day goes by that we don't miss him dearly.


    (I've made your no-peek chicken several times. It's a new fave at the manor.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your loss. I dread the day when our family pets will near their time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry. I totally understand. C

    ReplyDelete
  13. They always love so much and add so much that when they go a part of us goes with them. I believe our dogs are going to be in heaven, because it won't be heaven for me without them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw a comment you left on another's blog and came here right away as soon as I heard to look and see if there was a post.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I want to tell you that I understand.

    ReplyDelete