Sunday, December 13, 2009

Homemade Christmas Ornaments

Yesterday, while reading through my favorite blogs, I came across a recipe for Cinnamon-Applesauce Christmas Ornaments on Tipper's blog. When I mentioned this to The Toots, she told me they were the same ornaments they had made in class on Friday.

We proceeded to make a trip, "to town", and buy some extra cinnamon. We followed Tipper's recipe and Toots did all of the mixing and creating. She did a fabulous job.

We used 1 cup of applesauce, 1 cup of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of white glue. We were much like Tipper, in that we found some spices that were 2 for 1 dollar at our local Dollar General Store. Toots mixed all the ingredients and used some holiday cookie cutters to create.


Please note that you must roll out the dough rather thick, so the ornaments won't break when they are dry. Ours were at least 1/4 inch thick....a few were a bit thicker.



Here is one of the gingerbread men Toots made. She made a hole with a skewer before they started drying. Actually, they will take a few days to air dry. They are very fragrant and make great gifts.

Thanks Tipper for a fun holiday project!

7 comments:

  1. I saw a similar recipe today so guess what I picked up at Wal-Mart? Applesauce and 8 bottles of cinnamon. We're going to make them in class tomorrow and hope they dry before Friday. Tell Toots great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seen this on Tipper's site. My kids are all too big to make ornaments. I'm hoping one day me and the grands will get a chance to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these a couple weeks ago and I'm glad I did every time I walk into the house and smell cinnamon. It's one of those simple things that kids really enjoy. We decorated ours with glitter glue. Yours look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds pretty cool...might try to make a few:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous idea, so thanks to you and Tipper for sharing this! Will pass to my daughter so she can do this with my grands; they'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice! tell the kids not to eat them. You could make real gingerbread and let the kids eat them on Christmas.
    why not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy you made them-and liked them : ) Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete