Saturday, January 16, 2010

These are my kind of men


On Monday, January 18th, at 9pm eastern time, The History Channel will debut a new show entitled, "American Pickers". The show will follow business partners Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz, as they search America for hidden antiques and treasures. They are experts in antiques and cultural history, who run an antiques business based in Iowa. Their company, Antique Archaeology, is all about Americana, salvage, and what some might consider junk.

Wolfe and Frank are American antiques experts who have been friends since the 8th grade. They travel the back roads of America in search of the unexpected. Their quests lead them through small towns and, in turn, they meet eccentric individuals in possession of junk, memorabilia, and historical relics. They describe themselves as, "professional pickers". Sometimes they turn a good profit and sometimes they walk away with, literally, a piece of junk.

I don't know what excites me more...

the thought of the open road being my office

junk piles

the thrill of "the find"

abandoned barns

hidden antiques

The thought of all that rust and junk is making me break out into a sweat already. I can't wait for Monday night.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooo - that sounds like a great program! I love the thrill of happening upon a something that is a complete surprise, something that I've been looking for, or something that I know has some value - all at a great, cheap price! Almost makes me feel guilty to buy it and not offer the seller more money! ALMOST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely sounds like an interesting show and an interesting life.
    Why didn't we think of it first?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it sounds like a great show to me, too. It's like going to yard sales, I love not knowing what you might find next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads-up on this. It sounds like my kinda show. Writing it down so I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with that show too. Now, is that a dream job or what - getting to look for "junk" all day and making money with it too! Yippee!!! I told Shaun we needed that lil' carnival ride they found for Cobblestone - he jus' shook his head. I can't wait to see the next episode! Cathy

    ReplyDelete