Monday, April 5, 2010

The Berry Bridge

Here in Smalltownland we are rich in many things. Interesting people, beautiful landscapes, and a slow pace make for a good life. Our county is incredibly rich in history and there are so many places to explore and investigate. We recently happened upon the Berry Bridge. Maybe I should not use the words, "happened upon", as it really is quite out of the way.

Built in 1908, it opened with much fanfare as you can tell from this historical photograph. I can't believe those men climbed up on top of those rails.... I do wish it was still customary for people to wear hats, such as those in this photo.




It was constructed out of iron and wood. I can only imagine the great convenience it provided back in its day. Bridging a connection from one portion of the county to another, and providing easier access to Smalltownland for many. Before its construction, a ferry took people, and their parcels, across the river. In 1981 it was deemed unsafe for travel. We walked down a portion of the road to the bridge and it was incredibly peaceful.





As you can see, it has deteriorated quite a bit. The wooden floor of the bridge is mostly gone and some of the iron is incredibly thin.


It was strangely beautiful.




A fine piece of history.



9 comments:

  1. We still have a few of those old metal bridges scattered 'round these parts. When learning to drive, our instructor would love to make us drive across these old wooden floored bridges. It would scare the bajebbers out of me! Heehehehe! Wonderful pics!

    I just wanted to thank you for visitin' with your sweet comment.

    God bless ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos of the bridge now are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to your blog....someday I want to come there and visit...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old bridges -- I have pictures of farms and old bridges throughout my home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only in Kentuchky. I love it. It was a sight to see when built, but has so much historical beauty now. I am counting the days until June. The rolling green hills are so peaceful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By now you know of my love for all things old. This bridge is fabulous. Thanks for sharing it with us. I wish I could see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love the bridge. We had a metal bridge that looked very similar near here. It was like a landmark-how you told folks where to go. I about cried when they got rid of it-but luckily a farmer just up the creek got it-now it leads across to one of his pastures-so I at least still get to see it-and think of all the folks who traveled across it-including me : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pictures of the old bridge. Very pretty! Just think of all the travelers that passed over it through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How neat that you found that old picture. I just love old pictures.
    And bridges. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete