Saturday, July 24, 2010

My new favorite cookbook

I have to admit, I am rather a, "cookbook whore". If I see a cookbook that interests me, then I think I have to have it. It doesn't necessarily matter what the subject matter is, I enjoy most ethnic foods and American cuisine. I first came upon this Cajun/Creole cookbook in the fabulous city of Nashville during spring break. I passed it up, rather unwisely. While on my annual summer trip to The Bab's and Mr. B's house I, once again, spotted it in a bookstore. I knew I had to have it.

Chef John D. Folse has comprised a book that encompasses the Cajun and Creole Cuisine of New Orleans. At a staggering 807 pages, it is not for the faint of heart. It is, however, for the person who is interested in everything that comprises the famous city and its diversified beginnings.

Chef Folse leaves no stone unturned in his quest to educate the reader on all topics concerning his regional fare. It covers all topics from the early history of New Orleans to a list of noteworthy restaurants and manufacturers that will give you the best of New Orleans. I can't even begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading this cookbook. Oh, and I have actually cooked a few recipes already. And, they were edible.



The following recipe I made on a whim, and my family ate it and actually LIKED it. Yes, I was surprised. It includes all of those summer staples such as zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers. My children even ate this, it is that good.


Marinated Zucchini and Summer Squash Salad

3 medium zucchini, shredded (I julienned these.)
3 medium summer squash, shredded (I julienned these as well.)
1 small Bermuda onion, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
2tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/3 cup salad oil
1/3 up red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper

In a large mixing bowl, combine squash, onions, bell peppers, garlic and relish. In a separate mixing bowl, combine oil, vinegar, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well blended. Pour marinade evenly over vegetables, cover and refrigerate overnight. Before serving, toss salad and drain excess liquid.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I could be hooked as long as it's not too spicy. I'll take a chance with any book... even a cookbook. ps you don't want me near an oven though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, looks awesome. Unfortunately no one here besides me eats anything with flavor to it. So, I don't bother with too many cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered mine Thursday....can't wait for it to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing - it does look yummy - I just have to stay home long enough to actually "cook" something! I'm gonna purchase Trisha Yearwoods cookbook next I think. I don't use cooksbooks as much as I should but I do enjoy having them around jus' in case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I have to try that recipe. The picture just made my mouth water.
    I just came from a farmers market and bought all those things.

    The book looked great too. I don't know a lot about Cajun cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious.
    My youngin' would curl his nose and walk away. Sooo picky!

    ReplyDelete