Monday, August 2, 2010

Blackberry BBQ Sauce

Once again I am going to share a recipe from the cookbook, The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine, by Chef John D. Folse. I am still combing through all of the 800 + pages and I am sure I will share many more recipes before all is said and done.

The following recipe caught my eye because I love BBQ sauce and it uses ingredients that I readily keep on hand. It is recommended for pork tenderloins, chops, or ribs. I used it for chops and it was wonderful. So, let's get started, shall we?

Blackberry Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup blackberry preserves
1 1/2 cup ketchup
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp cane syrup (I used molasses.)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp mustard powder
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup fresh blackberries (I used berries from our farm that I had frozen and thawed.)


In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.

It comes out a little spicy and I was expecting a little sweetness, but there isn't much. It is still very good.


*Optional Step*

If you would like a dry rub to apply to your pork before grilling use this recipe. I used the dry rub and then applied the Blackberry BBQ Sauce just before my chops were finished.


*Dry Rub*
1 tbsp granulated garlic
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tbsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Sprinkle pork with mixture and rub in spices. Let rubbed meat sit at least 1 hour in refrigerator before grilling.


Grill pork and apply BBQ sauce just before it is finished.



Excellent!

10 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm! Time for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds dee-lish!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds delicious! Unfortunately, I am the only one in the family who likes blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks absolutely amazing....i have some blackberry jam that i just might try it with....also i'm loving your new blog header (forgive me if it isn't new....i view posts thru the reader so i don't always get to see the 'pretty' parts of blogs!) happy monday blog buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nine Acres - I don't actually like blackberries, but the sauce doesn't resemble the flavor of one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! We have been brining our pork chops first and then adding a rub...boy do they turn out juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda - I have heard of brining a turkey, but never really thought about doing that with pork chops. Might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FC,I am in Central Ky,too, and 1/2 my heritage is Cajun. As a matter of fact, that side of the family is visiting next week. Will try your BBQ sauce. I'm covered up with Blackberries this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a new one.
    Never heard of using blackberries for BBQ sauce.
    Must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds completely fantastic.
    Loving the blog - I enjoy the "country" feel :)

    ReplyDelete