Saturday, August 7, 2010

The dog days of summer

Look at this handsome couple. The Jack Russell wants to pretend that she doesn't snuggle and love her Lab friend, but that would not be the case. Since Sir Charles, the Lab/Pointer mix, came to live with us over a year ago, he has added much joy and dog hair to our home. How could you not love that face?


I'll tell you how.




This past week the chiclets and myself were driving home from school. Almost home, we were surprised/horrified to see Sir Charles wandering on the small country highway right before our road. I slammed on the brakes and immediately exited the car to grab Charles and put him in the backseat of the caddy. Not that there was much room in the backseat as it was The Deerslayer's turn to ride back there, but we were determined to take him back to the house.

As I try to grab Charles he becomes a little nervous. Hence, he then flattened himself on the asphalt like a pancake. I, the loving dog owner, then bent my poor body into all kinds of positions trying to scrape the nervous dog off the pavement. Although skinny, he is not a lightweight.

As I am doing this my neighbor pulls up behind our car, but does not get too close. He then gets to watch as I finally pick up the dog and try to cram him in the car.....as the dog then does a little sprinkle all over the place.

Seriously.


Later that evening I happened to run into said neighbor at a small town function. He laughed while asking if I had fun wrestling the dog. I have no doubt that he would have put that spectacle on Youtube, if he could.

13 comments:

  1. No trouble getting our dog,Sarah, in a vehicle.Getting her out is the problem. She loves her daily ride with Pop, and is determined she will get one,and she's not particular in what,either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Life in the country! This reminds me of when Ang, over at Maple Valley Off-grid farm saw her husband driving up in their van, and she thought she'd surprise him by bending over with her butt in the air for him to look at, only to find that he had brought an Amish guy friend with him. We all told Ang that the Amish man was probably just as surprised and embarrassed as she was - that would have made a good YouTube video as well. Thanks for the early Sunday morning giggle. Take care, from Fayette Co.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy - I love that story. I'll have to give Ang a visit. Sounds like her life is pretty comical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just picture that story in my head...who needs Youtube! Too funny! You dogs are cuties...I miss not having a dog...our precious Sydney went to dog heaven after 16 wonderful years with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I loved the phrase 'he adds so much love and dog hair' to your home. That's our rabbit, too! Oh, my.

    We live in a very small town, too...we go to work, church, school and the grocery with our neighbors. One time when I was getting my hair cut, our pastor was in the chair next to me. Nothing like seeing how each other looks when their heads are wet! LOL! Our neighbors know everything...sometimes a wonderful thing..sometimes not! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy - I couldn't agree more....sometimes small town life is great and sometimes not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your heart. I've rescued lots of dogs from the side of the road, but have never had to peel one from the pavement.

    I'm glad it came to a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine a NEIGHBOR like that! I think after I got my pee pee pancake in the car I'd go punch him. He pulled over to watch? Seriously? Isn't a good neighbor someone who lends a helping hand?
    Might have been funny afterwards but I'm so not impressed with your neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen - I have to agree with you. I thought he should have helped, but am not surprised that he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm just glad you got your baby home safe! sweet pups make life that much sweeter! happy tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like Sir Charles is a challenge...but lovable. I'll be looking for the U-tube video of you and Sir Charles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no! Glad you found him before he got flatened another way.
    My luck is that it would have been on You Tube before I returned home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hee-hee- I'll bet that WAS funny!Hope you didn't get sprayed!

    ReplyDelete