Saturday, August 21, 2010

Off to the state fair we go

This morning we loaded up the chiclets and headed to the big city. The Kentucky State Fair started a couple of days ago and we felt compelled to attend. You know it is important to expose the kids to all of the wonderful things that our state makes/creates and has to offer. Maybe it was the funnel cake and food-on-a-stick that was calling my name, but my intentions were still good.

I won't lie....the animals are the main attraction for us. Who doesn't love a cute goat-rabbit-chicken-cow? But, we still float through the awesome craft displays and this year I didn't miss the antiques. I am in love with this Hoosier Cabinet and wish that I had a few of these items to place inside mine.


Toots was loving the goats. She had herself turned into a, "Fairy Princess", by some incredibly talented ladies who were face painting.


This chick had just about had enough and was trying to chew her gate open. She could have easily come home with us.


We spent a bit of time checking out the photography. Many talented people submitted work in a variety of categories.

I have to say that the, "Inflatable Colon", was the most unusual thing that we saw during the day. Important to educate the public....yes, but an inflatable colon? Of course Toots had to reach out and touch a polyp.
Seriously.

A good time was had by all and the chiclets fell asleep on the way home.
PTL



14 comments:

  1. Wish I had known you were going. You could have checked on a good friend and neighbor,Gil,who works with the Pork Producers Booth. Glad you all enjoyed the Fair. I have only been a time or two in my lifetime and that was many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I was so into your post until the Inflatable Colon, ha ha. Love the cabinet too and the blue glass would have been going home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny about the inflatable colon! Glad you made it to the state fair! And how about those HOOSIER cabinets! Wooo! I'm sure the maker was a Boilermaker by choice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just went to our County Fair last weekend and like you, the animals are always my favorite part. This year tho, they added a rodeo with bull riding and that was pretty exciting (and scary!) to watch. There is no WAY you'd get me on a crazy kicking bull with those horns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking on Craigslist a lot lately, and there are a ton of Hoosier cabinets - some in good shape, some not so good, but I love them, too. Great pics of the state fair. I like your choice of music - Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan - two of my favorites. I hadn't heard the song by Stevie Ray in a long, long time - good memories. And my folks once took a square dancing class and danced to Lay Down Sally. An oldie but a goodie. thanks for "following" my blog - hopefully I"ll have something soon to blog about. Have run out of ideas for the moment. LOL - take care, from Fayette Co.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I DO love all the fairs that happen this time of year!

    Ha! The inflatable colon made me smile. Is that the reaction the exhibitor wanted? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. EG - It did make most people there smile. How can you not get a little chuckle out of an inflatable colon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya, we're starting our Fair season. There's one or two sprinkled around the state. Haven't been to one in awhile... hassling with traffic and all. Might go the organic one this September.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't been to a State Fair since my son Stephen was younger and went to Springfield to show in the horse show. I did go to one of our local county fairs this year--it was very hot and dirty--but the two grand-daughters that I had with me enjoyed it so much. Of course you have to eat 'fair food'!! Ha! We chose curly fries and a slushy...very tasty!! Sounds like you enjoyed the day. I would have enjoyed the antique and photograph sections--two of my favorite past-times!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. pie safes, and fairies, and polyps, oh my! what a wonderful time you all must have had! i'm sure you know i Luh-huh-huve me some quality time spent at the fair so thanks for sharing yours! i get to live a little vicariously through your adventures! xoxo happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. by randy i discovered your blog and your photos really very beautiful! I had a pleasant time to read your daily life interesting as a window on another world, I'll will follow you with pleasure!
    Bye Mahon...
    http://redcat-albumart-som.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been to a state fair in years. I love them. I don't know why we don't go, it's not far away.
    Inflatable colon???? Who would think of such a thing? Not me. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, a county or state fair is so much fun. The animals are one of our favorites too, but I love the arts and crafts area as well. I'm glad you all had a great time:)

    ReplyDelete