Saturday, October 9, 2010

Best of Both Worlds

This past week has been fall break in Smalltownland. Meaning that our school system takes a one week break during the first week of October each year. It is our favorite time to take trips, both big and small. This year Secret Agent Man had to fly to Denver for some work related meetings, so the chiclets and I tagged along. So, even though we live in a small town, we do get to experience city life from time to time.

And some fabulous views in Estes Park. This town is also home to the hotel that inspired Stephen King to write, The Shining.



We did some hiking in the El Dorado Canyon area. Each place we went to had gorgeous views.



We didn't miss out on what the city had to offer. Good eats, a little shopping, and the spectacular coffee shops on every corner. My favorite line: Life is short...stay awake for it.

We also took in the King Tut exhibit that is now on display at the Denver Art Museum. A fabulous exhibition of statues, jewelry, art, and many items from Tut's tomb. Toots enjoyed trying on some Egyptian regalia.



We also spent some time at the Rocky Mountain National Park. Secret Agent Man was intent on going to the highest portion of the park.....on this tiny gravel road that was one way. And yes, the drop offs were steep.





But, the views at the top were so worth the crazy drive! It was almost like you could reach up and touch a cloud.




I will close this post by showing what a real Colorado traffic jam looks like.



One gentlemen even tried to get up close to this bull Elk. Needless to say, he was chased into traffic!


28 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!! Sounds like you guys had a great time. The mountains are just spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning pics,I wish we had interesting museums like that here. Those sheer drop offs is where I would normally s#%t myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful pics,those clouds are stunning! I wish we had interesting museums like that here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to get away now and then, and you went to a gorgeous part of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great time together!
    There's nothing like hiking up in those mountains...and those pictures you have are INCREDIBLE views. (Love the blue of that sky :))

    What a nice traffic jam! Better than the usual:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! Wow! I'm going to get to go to the grocery store. Now don't get too excited! I'm glad I traveled like a madwoman before I met the farmer! I should dig out old postcards and send them to everyone I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Gorgeous shots of the clouds & mountains! And when you say "he was chased into traffic" I'm assuming you meant the gentleman and not the elk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tex - Yes, it was the gentleman that was chased into traffic by the elk. We really thought there was going to be an injury.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a great trip! I honestly don't think I could have handled the itty bitty roads with the wayyy steep drop offs. I have a certain fear of all things high. lol

    It really is beautiful country, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son is taking a short trip to Colorado Springs this weekend. He loves it there.

    What a great time of year to visit the Rockies! I'm so jealous. Wonderful photos, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed the music. Not sure everyone in the office did but nobody said anything so I left it turned up. LOL

    I liked the photos too. I got a creepy feeling about the road with no turn-arounds. LOL I have been on roads in West Virginia, of all places, where you had to back up or find a place to park and get out and walk.

    Glad you got to go to the places you went.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that picture of the fence. For some reason, I just love country fences. I saw the King Tut exhibit in Los Angeles in 1978 when my mom was here to visit. Imagine that...a long time ago. I remember it was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos. Looks like a wonderful trip. Love the bull elk photos!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are wonderful photos. I can't wait to visit Colorado. Hope it was a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elks! If I am lucky today I can see a cat... Wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your image with that running, falling fence was a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderful photos and interesting text! it is always a pleasure to come to your blog! bye !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Farmchick -- thanks for stopping by my blog. I, like you, love small towns but a taste of the city is alright once in awhile. Your shots of Colorado were wonderful. I see you are from Central Kentucky as am I and also am a transplant to the area. Enjoy the lovely fall -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful! One of my very dearest friends lives near Estes Park! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just came across your blog and found it to be spectacular. Love the photos also. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing like a bull elk along the side of the road to get your attention :). It always amazes me that people will try to walk up to wild animals. Toots looks great as an Egyptian Queen. I'll bet she loved getting the chance to try that on. Come to think of it I'd like a chance to try it on...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just beautiful!!
    I love the one with the clouds.
    That's a traffic jam I could live with. Atleast you would have something interesting to look at.
    I would love to visit Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My son and his family live in Denver so I visit often and love it there! You did a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - I've only been to Colorado in the wintertime and seen it with snow. Now I need to go when it's NOT snowing! Those are gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, what a wonderful get a way! We, unfortunately, haven't went anywhere this year. We sooo need a vacation. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete