Friday, April 8, 2011

Annabel Lee

It was many and many a year ago,

In a kingdom by the sea,

That a maiden there lived whom you may know

by the name of ANNABEL LEE;

And this maiden she lived with no other thought

Than to love and be loved by me.


I was a child and she was a child,

In this kingdom by the sea;

But we loved with a love that was more than love-

I and my Annabel Lee;

With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven

Coveted her and me.


And this was the reason that, long ago,

In this kingdom by the sea,

A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling

My beautiful Annabel Lee;

So that her highborn kinsman came

And bore her away from me,

To shut her up in a sepulchre

In this kingdom by the sea.


The angels, not half so happy in heaven,

Went envying her and me-

Yes! - that was the reason (as all men know,

In this kingdom by the sea)

That the wind came out of the cloud by night,

Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.


But our love it was stronger by far than the love

Of those who were older than we-

Of many far wiser than we-

And neither the angels in heaven above,

Nor the demons down under the sea,

Can ever dissever my soul from the soul

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side

Of my darling-my darling-my life and my bride,

In the sepulchre there by the sea,

In her tomb by the sounding sea.


~All photographs were taken in the Victorian section of the Georgetown Cemetery in Georgetown, Kentucky.~

30 comments:

  1. Nice! I think wandering through such an old cemetery is much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. Love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos fit the Annabel Lee perfectly...I loved your rendition.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful:) I love the photos, thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see one of your pictorial displays to "The Raven"! Thanks for the memory of such a beautiful poem. I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice to see some of these old monuments preserved rather than destroyed by weather, wear or worse... nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Post and I love all the pictures in the old cemetery...wonderful poetry.
    You Did Good!!!
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard that poem in ages. Perfect with your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed this post a lot. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely shots!

    My youngest is a 21 year old named Annabel - for many years she was the only Annabel in the county who wasnt over 65 lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. A precious mix of words and images, you really made this old cemetery appealing, mysterious and full of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post-editing is very nice. Love the gentle hue of these photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos, sweet poem. It's funny that I thought I understood those words at 14, but think so much harder over them now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely! I love the old cemetery in Georgetown and also the old part of the Lexington Cemetery is beautiful in the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos of the cemetery. I live in a town called Greenwood, which is only about 3 miles from a town named Georgetown. I love to go there and take photos of the graves with all their marble carvings and statues. It looks like your cemetery is really a great place to do the same. It is so quiet there too. (Not a joke but a place I like to wander and think many times). It is hard to find a quiet part in a town yet a cemetery is very respected and somber.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful poem, beautiful photos and beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an elegant combination of poetry in words and in images.

    have a wonderful weekend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE Poe! Love this one. I find it chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my favorite poems...your photos are beautiful and perfect to set off the mood and theme of the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos of the gravestones. Graveyards are so peaceful for meditations about life. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  21. The words so very well complement the pics... a truly beautiful post, i loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What incredible photos. We have an old cemetery on our farm and I never get tired of wandering through the stones.

    Your blog is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos and I haven't read or heard Annabel Lee in a long time. Hope I can look that cemetary up when I am in Ky. We always go to Georgetown.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Annabel Lee....In high school we had to memorize many lines of poetry to recite in front of the class....this was one of my favorites!!!
    Great shots with beatiful lines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am SUCH a fan of Poe. Morbid as that might be and Annabel Lee is so sad. You coupled it beautifully with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was in a famous Glasgow cemetery recently with the camera so i can understand this fascination. It's always difficult posting photos of a cemetery but this is a masterclass in how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The cemetary you've photographed looks like the cemetery where my ancesters and my mother, father and husband are in Owen County near New Liberty. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete