Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chocolate Chunk Brown Sugar Brownies

So I survived the Blogger blackout a few days ago, but just barely. Going cold turkey for 24 hours was just so harsh and I consoled myself with a batch of these brownies. They have become a staple around my house for awhile now. Especially since I found the true secret to making them.....chocolate chunks. Since I found these dudes in the baking aisle, mere chocolate chips will just not do anymore.


Here they are in all of their glory. Shield your eyes if you must, as their beauty might just be too much to take in all at once.


Here is the finished product. Two delicious center cuts right out of the pan. My son prefers the righteous corner cuts, but not me. I like the gooey center pieces with all of the chocolaty, caramel flavor. A tall glass of milk is a must when consuming these.




Chocolate Chunk Brown Sugar Brownies


2 2/3 cups self rising flour

2 cups packed brown sugar

1 cup real butter, softened (not margarine...yuck)

2 eggs (from your own backyard...or your neighbor's)

2 teaspoons vanilla (make your own...it's better that way)

1 cup chopped walnuts (totally optional....I never use them)

1 regular sized package of chocolate chunks (located right next to the wimpy chocolate chips)


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. I use a glass baking dish for this (Pyrex) with good results. Cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, beat until smooth. Add the flour until well combined and then stir in the chocolate chunks.


*You will need to sample a few of the chunks to test for freshness.*


When all is well blended, spread the mixture into the coated pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. My magic number is 28 minutes. The key is not to over bake and allow the center to remain a bit soft. Take out of the oven and allow it to cool completely. Yes, that means no sneaking a bite until it cools and, "sets". When it comes out of the oven it will be fluffy and puffy. As it cools it will deflate a bit and settle into the pan.


Serve with copious amounts of milk and do enjoy.


48 comments:

  1. Yummy! Can you use regular flour if you don't have self-rising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great!! I think you can Google self rising recipe substitutions. I'll have to look to see if my little grocery has choc. chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum. I'll take that plate with my this morning! That Blogout just proved that we are all hopelessly addicted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we need more blogger black outs? Yummy and I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Did you hear that? My "healthy food choice" resolution just fell of its wagon! I'm a gooey girl too! Dang! These look really really good! Willpower is failing....ACK! Off to find some self-rising flour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful, I'll... um... CHOCOLATE! I've gotta have Chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'shield your eyes if you must' ha ha ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh. I am not a baker, but I definitely am an enjoyer! Bring 'em on, Farmchick. (Love your music . . . I often leave your site open in the background while prowling around the internet.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds and looks yummy! I think I am going to have to make some of those...my hubby loves brownies...and those look great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will take a plate full!! My husband would love these! Would love for you to come and link them up on 2 Maids a Baking!!

    http://twomaidsamilking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shame on you....I'm on the everyday diet and watching my sugar intake. Love brownies, all types, all flavors. Even those not on the everyday list of ingredients, not the funny ones though.

    If you like the edges then you need to get one of those pans that have the lift out square insert. My wife got one and being an edger I am in seventh heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is when it's a pain to be eating healthy...this wonderfulness is so not on my eating list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So...you were consoling yourself with these brownies while the rest of us were stewing about the Blogger Blackout?! Well played. They look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sure I'll be 'sampling' a lot of the chunks until there are no more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree with you on the butter! We're butter people here too.
    That looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Moms just took your recipe, I'm not happy cus it has chocolate in it!!!
    "Mom that's your diet up the shoot lol!!!"
    Have a good week
    See Yea George xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. you did warn us...but you knew we would look anyway...think I gained 5 lbs just looking

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is killing me, I am on a diet. I love chocolate, and sweets are my downfall. I would add the walnuts, though, I love black walnuts in cookies and candies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They even look good. lol

    Music came on and sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oo, yum! This recipe will work well with my gluten free flour. I kissed chocolate chips long ago. Like you, I discovered chocolate CHUNKS! Chips don't do it for me anymore, now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. those look yummy. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look yummy...I sure wish I had read your post earlier...I needed a dessert for tonight...Friends coming over!
    I made double stacked brownies, but would have loved to have tried your recipe...
    Will do later!
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh MY!!! Chunks over Chips any day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good grief, who needs Blogger when you've got those baking in the oven?!

    They look super-yummy! I want to make them right now! Trouble is, I just consumed two birthday cakes made by my children for me and now I need to try and rein it in. No fun!

    I will come back for this recipe soon, however, it looks to good to ignore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH! I love this post...think I will give these a try for after school treat tomorrow. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  26. gooey center cuts for me too. these look decadently delish~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooo I'll bet your house smells heavenly while they are baking. Bet they are great with a scoop of French Vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  28. WoW! that is so delicious. . wanna try it.=0

    ReplyDelete
  29. I see brownies in my future, my very near future. And I'm with your son. I like those edges, too. Your brownies look like a type of chocolate chip cookie bar that my friend does called Miss Jean's Famous Cookies. We should do a cookie swap one day. lol

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thye look too good, Farmchick! I am on a diet ..whine, whine.

    ReplyDelete
  31. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, now I have to go and make me a batch. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These look fabulous. I'm taking the recipe back to the manor. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm making these this weekend. LOVE the c-chip cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mercy, Child! Such temptation you set before my eyes. I will just have to eat them with my eyes, as all that sugar may put DH and I into glucose shock...wow, they sure look gooey good with all those glorious chunks. OK, just one.
    BlessYourHeart I mean, BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  36. Tried 'em!! SUPER GOOD! The kids said OH YES!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my! that recipe surely competes with my mother's brownies recipe from years ago. I'm afraid I'd eat the whole pan myself if I made them.

    Your header is FANTASTIC!

    -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh yes now you have me hooked . I will be looking for those big chunks in the aisle now. I love the way you write a recipe it is way more interesting. Oh I need one of these now but it is 11 pm, I bet I will be dreaming of them. B

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mouth-watering to gaze upon !

    Not fair to be seeing such temptation late at night. I too prefer those corner pieces - I used to have to fight off the kids - now they've moved out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG! Where have I been to miss these suckers? I will be trying them over the weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The brownies look great and I will try them. I admire your courage to embrace the simple life of a small town. Thank you for sharing and may God bless you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just discovered your blog, and I'm lovin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This food looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete