Friday, May 6, 2011

The Home of Lincoln's Educator

Tough Smalltownland is very small, it is large on history. In every nook and cranny history shines in old buildings, window panes, and street corners. I had the pleasure of walking through the academy where Abraham Lincoln's educator lived and taught between 1818 and 1823, when he left the area for Illinois. It was there that he met Lincoln.



Mentor Graham is known as the man who gave Lincoln the only formal education that he had in life. Mr. Graham used this facility as a school and the sleeping quarters still remain on the second floor.


Locally it is simply known as, "The Academy". It sits on a steep hillside that is located just behind the town square. The property is terraced with limestone walls.


The mantels in the home are original as are the second story floors.



The Academy has undergone a painstaking renovation in just the past few years. If you look carefully at this picture, you can just see the faint outline of a heart in the center of this mantel.


It is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.




Both the front and back of the property contain the terraced limestone.





I could have just wandered around here for hours, but other people in my party were not so relaxed.






Toots was outside dancing and ready to go.




*It is also worth mentioning that Lincoln's law partner, William H. Herndon, was born in this house, located in Smalltownland, which I discussed in an earlier post.....and it is still for sale....anyone, anyone......

23 comments:

  1. You have so many neat places to visit in your neck of the woods. If your daughter is anything like my son her attention on such trips only goes so far. lol Great shots, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that all of this neat places are preserved so well. The renovations are beautiful!

    That bedroom has my bed and wall color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful bit of History...I love seeing places like this...and experiencing a itzy bitzy portion of the lives of such important people....
    I am with you, I could probably spend a lot of time on the back grounds..
    Thank you for sharing this with us...
    I am enjoying your post...
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  4. lots of history in your little town... (and one cute little dancing toots...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this,the desk and the bed can come live in my house any day,oh the fireplace too please...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting! I love going through historic homes and imagining what life must have been like for the inhabitants long ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to see that your community holds its history precious enough to preserve it! Spoken like the true daughter of a history teacher! ;-) Thanks for letting me tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The grounds look so appealing in your photos... and that woodcut. Quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the limestone....and there is nothing like historic homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to visit places like this one....wish I had been there to wander with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you combine your beautiful photos with some facts about history.

    Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool!This really struck a chord in my history buff's mind. We've got historical sites almost around every corner here in Virginia. Vacation is coming up soon and I intend to document as much as possible while we're back home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adventure. Makes one wonder whether life and time was much more 'heart-filled' back then.


    Please have a good Sunday you all.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful adventure to a small town well perserved ...
    Happy Mother's day !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tours. You have some really interesting and historical places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the wooden floors! Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is always a joy to visit places like this, even better if they are so well preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful place. I especially like the garden layout.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really like the limestone terracing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it. If I had been there, I would have loved to have wandered around for hours with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My son is a big Lincoln fan so this is really an interesting post for both of us!

    Thanks! : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lately I have found it interesting to imagine myself back in time in houses like this & try to discover how these people thought and developed their trade. Fascinating building.

    ReplyDelete