Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cream Cheese Pound Cake


Each month our local rural electric cooperative publishes a magazine. Yes, this is the same rural cooperative that had me reading the meter each month so they didn't have to send anyone out.......   In it you will find articles on Kentucky authors, places to visit, local oddities across the state, and exceptional recipes.  Recently the food editor passed away and her family decided to honor her by sharing her secret recipe for Cream Cheese Pound Cake.  Delicious, dense, and moist, it has an excellent flavor that can be enhanced with fruit.  

I made it this weekend and was not disappointed in the results.  I hope you will give it a try. 


Cream Cheese Pound Cake

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
fresh fruit or whipping cream for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a large tube or Bundt pan.  In a mixing bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla together until light in color and very fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time and beat one minute between each egg.  Stir flour and baking powder together, then gradually add it to the mixture with a rubber spatula. 

Once incorporated, beat for 5 seconds and check for lumps.  Bake in pan for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  You may want to place aluminum foil on top of the cake during the last 1/2 hour of baking so the cake doesn't brown too much.  The top of the cake should be golden brown and may even crack a bit.  Cool for 10 minutes and run a knife around the edges of the pan, then turn out onto a cake rack.  Cool completely before slicing. 

I baked mine in a Bundt pan, but will use a tube pan the next time.  It was a bit difficult to get out of the Bundt pan.  Mine did brown a bit more than I wanted, but the flavor was still excellent. 


36 comments:

  1. The pound cake looks very good and I will definitely give it a try. I'll use my gluten-free flour in place of the regular flour and see how well it turns out. Bet it does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMmmmmmm, that's sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious,I just don't have cream cheese in the fridge otherwise I would have made it right now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we used to get a little monthly magazine from our electric co-op too. rather miss that now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a poundcake last week and it's GONE, my husband's favorite! This sounds really good with the addition of the cream cheese, can't wait to try..

    ReplyDelete
  6. (i had to leave your page open for a while so i could listen to "shambala" twice...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet that they honored the Editor by sharing her recipe, very touching! - I haven't had pound cake in years. My grandmother would always have this and serve it with tea in the afternoon. I will try this but do belive I will use a loaf pan (and guess at the time, yikes). Thanks, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get the same thing from our rural electric cooperative. I love it when it comes. This looks yummy, and perfect for our fresh picked strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Want my address so you can send me some, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THis sounds delicious:) Thank you for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love old timer's recipes...I say that with love ;) Thanks for sharing! I bet this is yummy with some fresh fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This DOES look good, Farmchick. (I always love your music when I visit.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds great! I make a pound cake with sour cream...but cream cheese sounds even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks really good, I love your description of the company; you check your own meter and get newsletters. It is kinda neat :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds decadent... therefore, I'd love it... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't go wrong with cream cheese AND butter in one recipe! I'll take a slice with a vanilla latte:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wife of a Dairyman - Butter AND cream cheese make everything good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I wish! It sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband loves pound cake. Think what this will be like with fresh strawberries! Thanks for the great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Highlander Grogg coffee and pound cake.....the perfect end of a day or the start of a day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Farmchick -- oh dear, I live alone and if I were to make that lovely pound cake I might just lock my doors and eat the whole thing -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks totally sinful and delicious! Hey! I am reading The Widow of the South! (Well, at least a few Kindle pages at a time before I go to sleep or in between shuffling people here and there). So far I like it! I believe I saw it on your bookshelf first. Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lana - That is one of my all time favorite books. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cream cheese pound cake is a standby at my house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am not so good with these things, but this recipe is really encouraging...

    ReplyDelete
  26. ok - this is off the charts yummy. are you seriously trying to make me fat? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks awesome and I'm saving this post under my fave recipes right now!
    Thansk!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am going to bookmark this. It sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooooooooooo YUM that sounds good! Would love a slice to go with my cuppa...

    ReplyDelete