Friday, December 23, 2011

Bourbon Balls

Officially Kentucky lists its state drink as milk.  

Seriously....who ever heard the like?  I have no doubt that the powers that be wanted to eschew the premise that our state is known for bourbon, horse racing, and tobacco.  But, some things just are what they are and we should enjoy them as such.  So, let's talk a little traditional Christmas candy, shall we?  

Bourbon Balls are a tradition around here and since my children's great aunt is getting to where she can't manage the makings of them anymore, I decided I would take on the task.  

Let's get started.  

First, you will need to remove the Christmas sweater from your bottle of bourbon.  If you happen to be an ambassador of Maker's Mark then you receive a sweet little Christmas gift each year.  This year it happened to be clothing for their famous bottle. 

Next, you will need to pour five tablespoons of bourbon over one cup of nuts.  I have used walnuts in this case.  Give them a little stir to distribute the liquid and then let them sit overnight. 

Happy nuts for sure.

Cream together 1/2 cup of softened butter with 16 ounces of powdered sugar.  Fold in the happy nuts and roll into balls.  I used a teaspoon full of mixture for each ball.  Refrigerate overnight, or if you are like me, about six hours.  I was ready to get the show on the road. 

Dip the chilled candy into melted chocolate.  I used candy chocolate coating and allowed them to firm while resting on a marble surface covered in parchment. 

It is important to taste test at least four for consistency of quality. 

Yet another great Kentucky tradition. 

26 comments:

  1. oh my goodness - if they're anything like rum balls, i know they must be potent! lovin' the little sweater for the bottle of bourbon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best candy in the world! I made a ton of them this year as usual. I thought Kentucky was known for bourbon, beautiful horses and fast women. I think I have that right!

    Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family. No snow for us this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that sounds like a yummy tradition...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!!!! That sounds extremely good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhhhhhhh... yummmmmmmm. Do you ever use pecans? Those look so darn yummy.. I might have to make some!!
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cool, Farmchick. They look good.

    Here are holiday wishes to you and yours and everyone in Smallville for a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taste testing four sounds like a good idea. After all the third one may not taste like the first one but a fourth just confirms it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could I order a batch please? They look beyond sensational. And your directions seem so right!!!!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. I do believe you are ready, now that those bourbon balls have been tested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, mannnnnn. I thought I was done w/making the cookies this week, but I'm going to have to do these now. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute and sweet ! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ... to you !

    ReplyDelete
  11. How delicious those look! Yum! I want two or three ...or four right now! :)

    Merry Christmas, dear. Your blog is a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not my favorite liquor but they do sound tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had them but they look yummy. A friend from high school's mother (who was born in Germany) always received a large tin box at Christmas each year from her home country and it always included rum balls, but she would never let us try them. haha. Merry Christmas, my friend. I hope you and your family have a blessed one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My oldest son received the same gift from MM. I once had a present wrapped in MM wrapping paper -- I need to get on that list! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm trying to think if I've ever had a bourbon ball. I don't think I have! Wish I could come try one of yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll go ya one better... Cut the work time and just drink the bourbon!
    Merry Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful! Glad to see you're keeping the tradition alive. Do you need another Quality Control Officer?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy walnuts indeed!

    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. bourbon, butter and chocolate? It sounds like I'd need to go to confession. Sinful, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes! These are awesome! My family owns a liquor store so most of our holiday goodies are liquor infused...we must keep with the theme of owning a liquor store right? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. AMAZING! they look totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh...I'm going to make these for New Years Eve...They sound amazing.
    I've never tried them dipped in Chocolate..can't wait!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum. I have always wanted to make these. I hope you had a wonderful holiday!!! xo

    ReplyDelete