Friday, March 23, 2012

Some Daily Bread

Ahhhh.....bread.....hard to live with it and really cannot live without it.  Such is the conundrum for the waistline.  I do love it, but I confess I am not much of a bread baker.  It's always something.  You know the deal....dough doesn't rise, bread turns out too tough, too soft, or just totally inedible.  

So, I found this recipe that had the word, "easy", on it.  My dream come true.  So let's get busy, shall we? 

Combine one cup of hot water, 1/4 cup + 2 tbs shortening, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp salt.  Stir until shortening melts.  Cool mixture until lukewarm (105-115 degrees).


Dissolve one package of yeast in 2 tbs. warm water and add to shortening mixture.  Stir well.  Add one egg and 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour.  Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for one minute.  Stir in another 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour. 


Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface.  


Roll out to approximately 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut out using a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. 


Brush with melted butter and make a crease across each circle.  Fold over at the crease.  Place rolls on greased baking sheets and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.  I ended up with about two dozen rolls.


During your wait you can clean up the mess you made in the kitchen. 


Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden.  Consume with real butter, honey, jam, and jelly. 


"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."  

John Muir

36 comments:

  1. ohhhh nothing like fresh baked bread still warm from the oven...i should try this...but yeah, it's always something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look incredible! I usually cheat and use my bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the post carefully, but even this 'easy' is too much for me... I'll stop at the bakery on my way home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so easy and I like the unique 'fold' and now I'm hungry for warm bread with all of the above! Have a great weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. No waistline problems for me here :)
    I like the toolbox !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Michelle! Absolutely WONDERFUL with that last photos with melting butter! I am on my way OVER! Please save one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am such a bread-a-holic. I'll be right over with the strawberry jam :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it seems easy to make cake but i think it's hard to make it's beautiful like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how good that sounds and looks!! I'd be tempted to eat a bunch of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum!!! I need to make these! But in reality will probably just throw another loaf in the bread machine... If I had time I would SO make these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great and what a fun photo essay on how to bake bread. Loved the advice to clean up while you wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not much of a bread maker either, but I'm going to try these. Unless you want to send me a dozen. haha Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We do have one of those baking machines and its not my department but.... Awaking in the morning to the smell of freshly baked bread is pretty close to heaven.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is nothing like the smell of fresh aked bread to welcome you home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so how were the rolls? they look delicious...alas I don't bake bread anymore...I bake, I eat, I eat, I gain weight and lose health! :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could you do this to me???????

    Looks (and I imagine smells) divine.

    Ok, and to top it all off the butter and jam.

    Happy weekend.

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh do these look wonderful!! I love your new blog-look!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy!! I'm coming to your house for breakfast tomorrow. Those look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I love bread and these looks so delicious. Break out the jam.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I admire your perseverance. I just throw all the ingredients in the bread machine and come back in 3 hours. :-}

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is nothing quite like the smell of yeast bread coming out of the oven.. and nothing like the taste of fresh yeast bread.. those look mighty fine. Yum.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those looks so good, I can almost smell them. You had me though, when you said, It's always something, I was scrolling slowly and reading, waiting for the something to happen. LOL
    Glad to see they were a success.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now those are just making my mouth water...in fact I think I may have drooled a little on the keyboard! I am a bread addict!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH YUM!! The bread looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Made a great loaf of Irish soda bread for St. Paddy's. D-lish! Your buttered end product looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. man shall not live by bread alone: also need butter, jam, and jelly

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok Yumm! But I'm too lazy to make homemade bread...I'll just envy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  28. SCRUMPTIOUS!

    I want some now please.
    Can I just order some by giving you a credit card number? Certainly a woman who has the skills you have could tele-transport them immediately to my kitchen counter.

    Say, here's an idea: If I go brew some coffee right now...do you think you could put a RUSH on this job and have them here by the time it finishes brewing? I'm willing to pay extra for that service if it helps.

    All joking aside though...Seriously...those look amazing.
    I may have to "wax domestic" today and see what I can do with that recipe.

    Thanks for sharing,

    In Him,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my...they are so addicting when they are warm and buttery like that! I can never stop and one..or two... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I gained a few virtual pounds just looking at them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Boy! am I missing out. Being gluten intolerant stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These sound incredible! Will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete