So, yesterday was, "the day". I took a drive to the small town of Clarkson, Kentucky, to the Kelley Bee Company. A large supplier of bees and beekeeping equipment that is, quite frankly, out in the middle of nowheresville.
I picked up a 3 pound box of Italian bees, complete with a queen in residence. Funny how I never imagined I would be driving around with a few thousand bees in the car.....
As soon as I arrived back at the farmette, it was time to get down to business. I suited up in my beekeeping gear, complete with a pair of my husband's pants and his boots.
The queen was safe and sound in her cage with her attendants.
I placed the queen, still in her cage, in the hive. A small marshmallow was place in the cork opening so the bees could accept her and thus free her to be a part of the hive. I then gave a gentle shake and, "dumped", the bees into the hive.
Here is a peek into the hive just after I placed the bees in there.
A feeder was put into place and the top was secured.
Straight away the bees were lifting their backsides at the entrance of the hive. This is called, "fanning", and releases their scent to the entrance of their new home. Thus, everyone can find their way back to the hive when they leave.
Beekeeping law says I am supposed to wait several days before I open the hive to check on the progress. The suspense is killing me already.