Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gettin' My Bake On

I haven't had a working oven for about two weeks. To you this may not seem like a big deal, but for me it was close to a national tragedy. So, that sweet, little appliance fixin' man finally made it to my house and the oven now works better than it ever did. How about that? In honor of this prestigious event, I decided to make some ever so delectable cookie bars. 



You know, the kind with peanut butter, heath bar chips and REAL butter.  Oh yes....yes, I did. 



I made an enormous batch.  I also decided to share with the rest of my family.  That's just the kind of Farmchick I am, you know. 




Copious amounts of milk are required to eat this delightful concoction. 



Here is the recipe, straight from the Magnolia Bakery itself.  

Peanut Butter Heath Bar Brownies

1/1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter 
2 1/2 cups sugar 
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons vanilla extract 
3 cups self-rising flour 


Topping 
1 cups peanut butter chips 
3 tablespoons heavy cream
4 coarsely chopped heath Bars or chocolate covered toffee bars ( about 1 cup) 
1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted peanuts 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees 
Grease and flour a 12x18 - inch jelly roll pan 
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the peanut butter until fluffy.  Add the sugar and beat until smooth.  Add the eggs and the vanilla extract and mix well.  Add the flour and beat until well incorporated.  Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into center of pan comes out with moist crumbs attached.  Cool to room temperature. 

To prepare the topping:   In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the peanut butter chips and the cream, stirring until smooth.  Drizzle the peanut butter mixture decoratively over the cooled blondies.  Sprinkle the Heath Bars and the peanuts on top.  

Allow to cool to room temperature, or over night, before cutting and serving. 

**Yes, I cheated!  I took the baked blondies out of the over, sprinkled the peanut butter ships on top and allowed them to melt.  Then, I sprinkled the Heath Bar chips on top.  I didn't even add the peanuts.  Still, totally awesome.  **  

Bake them
Eat them
It's an order!


32 comments:

  1. and your family now lies in a sugar coma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I show this to my girls, maybe they'll make them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a cook, but I am pretty good at eating. Bring 'em on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bar cookies sound like they would be very addictive! ha. I can't stop eating stuff like that! Must try those very soon!
    My oven is fine...but my washer broke over the weekend. Hopefully we can get a repair man out here soon...before someone runs out of clean underwear. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, I could really get in to trouble with these. I'll bake them and send them off to work with the Mister...after I make sure they taste alright, of course! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...these are delicious looking! Full of all the good stuff like BUTTER.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh my gosh. I gained 5 pounds just looking at the pics. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks very yummy:) Makes me hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't survive well for 2 weeks with out an oven! I LOVE the looks of this recipe and always need a new bar recipe. It seems we are always asked to bring "bars" to events. I'm following your order! Baking them for Memorial day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would Love love LOVE to make some of those.. but we're heading to WA DC in 2 weeks and we're trying to be good.... sigh.. wish I was as thin as you are!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think my trousers are going to be a bit tight today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to try, but I will end up eating most of the ingredients even before the start...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yummy. Still my spouse (the chloresterol policewoman)is dead set against butter.... even though I often refer to my heroine Julia Childs who once said something like "if it doesn't have butter in it or on it it's hardly worth eating."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recipe, they look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All I can say to this, apart from congratulating you on getting your oven back, is thank God I do not like peanut butter! Otherwise I could be in a whole world of trouble;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. just looking at that photo i feel my waist size increasing....but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am trying to limit my calories and now I must close your blog before I melt from temptation!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks really good, Michelle -- There's no way I could survive 2 weeks without an oven, or at least, my hubby couldn't! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My oven is workimg, so I'm on my way to the kitchen to whip up a batch. I just can't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You need a warning label on this post- I gained ten pounds just looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I took a day off from being a diabetic to enjoy your treat... thank you! ;-)

    Somethings are just worth savoring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh goodness...I think I just drooled a little on my keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a good mom and wife you are to share your cookies! -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy smokes these look amazing, i am definitely making a batch of these babies, of course after i wipe the drool of my face...YUM

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh! This one looks like a KEEPER! Printing it out as I type this to try...full of RICH goodness! Is there ANY other way when it comes to dessert??

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my. I would be so lost without an oven! It would be like losing an arm or something. I must say you use the best peanut butter! JIF Rocks!...and those bars look delicious.

    ReplyDelete