Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Well....Pickle My Shrimp

Ahhhhh.....living in The South. Well, I do live in the Upper South, but that is a post for another day. Living in The South comes with rules and my Dear Friend gifted me with this book as a way to aide me in the rituals that come with living in southern, small town culture

. Pickled Shrimp are a noted recipe for a restorative gathering after a funeral. Well, no funeral here, but who doesn't need a period of personal restoration every now and again. First, we will start with the shrimp. They look positively morose on this counter, but we will transform them into a gastronomical delight,  worthy of a Southern gathering. 



Next, we will make a disaster of the kitchen while assembling the ingredients.  A Mason Jar is a must in this recipe.  It gives the shrimp that special touch that you can't get anywhere else, except here in The South.




You will assemble the spices




and pour them over those naked shrimp in the Mason Jar.





The little creatures will need to soak in this mixture for about three days.  During this time you will need to turn them once or twice per day. 

After their transformative period, you will need to congregate the following on your glorious front porch:  a good friend, the beverage of your choice, and maybe a little sauce for dipping. 



Eat shrimp, drink beverage, gossip, and repeat.  



5 pounds of shrimp  ( I used pre-cooked, de-veined shrimp.)
1 cup celery tops
1/2 cup pickling spice 
4 cups sliced onions
a few bay leaves
2 1/2 cups salad oil
1 1/2 cups white vinegar 
5 teaspoons celery seeds
2 teaspoons alt 
1 jar (3 1/4 ounce) of capers

Thaw those pre-cooked, de-veined shrimp.  In a large glass container, layer the shrimp with onions and bay leaves.  

Mix the salad oil, vinegar, celery seeds, and salt.  Pour over the shrimp.  Drain the capers and add them to the shrimp.  Place the container in the fridge for at least three days.  Turn once or twice a day, without fail!  

To serve, drain, reserving liquid in case you have shrimp left over.  

Serves twenty as an appetizer and twelve as a first course.  


27 comments:

  1. looks delicious, i love fried shrimp. kind of like Bubba from Forrest Gump. the hubby would run for the hills though. he will not eat shrimp. "bottom feeders" he calls them. heaven forbid. nuts! i think i will make a trip to see you ...so that i can sample them please. ha. ha!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my! That looks good! I think it gross my hubs out, but that's ok. I know of at least 2 other people in the house that would be drooling over that with me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering right now...yum. I haven't had pickled shrimp in years, actually, I don't remember where I even had them but can remember the taste in my mouth right now.

    I am craving pickled shrimp..hmm. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shrimp! And this recipe looks so good! Must try it. Thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely wonderful and I love the Rx: Eat shrimp, drink beverage, gossip, and repeat. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, that looks soooo good! I want some, but not the funeral part. My hubby is from the South, New Orleans, and he does all the cooking here. I know how blessed I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH...My...Goodness! I am making tese tomorrow. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very much like the pickled fish recipe I have -- my hubby would love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that does sound great...I love shrimp...

    ReplyDelete
  10. McVal - My husband wouldn't try one! lol That just leaves them all for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Twenty as an appetizer, twelve for a main course and just Jack if you invite me over after I skip lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Love the idea of eat, drink, gossip...and repeat. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I live for shrimp... but have never seen it pickled! I'd try it, for sure. My fave is coconut shrimp. OK, now I want some. Enjoy! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. well now, this is new to me! Ohio must have missed out...but of course, we are north. haha. It sounds good...I don't think I've ever eaten a shrimp that wasn't delicious! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could live on shrimps and prawns. This recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds interesting...I love shrimp...but I have never had pickled shrimp...I need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love shrimp and this looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I would to try this I love shrimp. I have never had something so extraordinarily different at least to this Canadian girl:)
    Yummy B

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never heard of this! But I like pickles, and I love shrimp, so I would definitely go for this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi lovely lady.
    You know I love shrimp! And this recipe looks so good! This would be great on this coming weekend with my friends.I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my Inland tablescape,hope you and your family have a wonderful week.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I'm so sorry but no matter how you dress 'em up, I just can't eat these little bottom feeders.

    But don't let that stop y'all ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh yum! i've never had shrimp like that before. we do shrimp ceviche that we love....i'll have to try this stuff out! love the idea of it in a mason jar too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Must be delicious . I'll try some day .

    ReplyDelete
  25. that REALLY sounds good!
    mmmmmm...anything pickled is tasty...except pickles! ha...i've just never cared for pickles...but pickled garlic, eggs...yum.

    i printed out your recipe and will pickle those little shrimps just as soon as i remember to pick some up!

    ReplyDelete