Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cow Days

Each year the third weekend in September marks the annual Cow Days festival here in Smalltownland. Originally started during the Great Depression, it continues to serve as a gathering spot for high school reunions, crafts, music and great food.

 In the beginning local merchants would give tickets for a chance on a cow to be given away during the festival. A big deal back in those days, and this raffle continues today with a calf being given away to a lucky winner. Our adventure typically begins by crossing the footbridge to get to the town square. My girl, pictured here, does not like crossing the footbridge. It does shake a bit! 



Vendors of all types converge on our local town square during this two day festival. 


The train ride has become a tradition and I have to tell you that the conductor drives at the craziest speed.  At the moment I took this picture traffic had not yet been blocked off for safety, but soon was. 


Many people come and just spend the day soaking up the music, food and fun. 


This local artist always attends with beautiful prints.



I would be remiss if I didn't mention Annie, the fiberglass cow.  For fifty cents you can, "milk", her.  Each udder is a different source of liquid.  Kool-Aid, juice, soda, etc... 



This year we had many new food vendors and several Amish vendors.  One Amish lady sold delicious fried pies.  

A bit of heaven wrapped up in a plain paper towel.  



29 comments:

  1. Wonderful fun and pictures! Love the cow! A fried pie would taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post shows your town celebrating all that is best in small town life. The cow that dispenses drinks is clever. I see your photos have been in Mature Living; I have written many articles for them. It is a great magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a lot of fun...that is funny a cow with koolaid....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I had a good giggle at the idea of milking Annie the cow for different drinks from each udder. I would also be sitting by the fountain people watching..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day that must have been!! That cow is funny!

    And listening to B.B. King at the same time -- fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a totally fun event! That pie sounds delish.. did you enter the raffle for the calf? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sounds like a lot of fun! Had to laugh at Annie and her variety of 'fresh' drinks. haha. We're surrounded by all kinds of fall festivals around here, too! The Mister works for the local hospital, which hosts it's own booth at these things, so he has attended everything from the popcorn festival to the strawberry festival around here, whether he wanted to or not! lol....
    He's gone this afternoon...I think I'll text him to bring me home one of those fried pies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No that looks like a fun festival.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way for your kids to grow up. They will look back on this, the very best of small town life, with fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Continue to be sure, that it must be great to live there.

    Please have you all a good new week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like so much fun. I want to walk over that shaky bridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a relaxing fun time. My town has an annual craft fair and it brings in thousands of people. We mark it on the calendar a year ahead. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like such a good time... I don't like foot bridges that shake either!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the season for festivals, it seems. We have a lot here, too. (I wouldn't like to cross that swinging footbridge, either.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, there's so much to be said for small town life - and you've said/shown it well ! I'm glad so many people want to live in the big city otherwise the countryside would be crowded.

    [love that old bridge (Sept. 9)]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like lots of fun, Michelle! I would love to ride that crazy train and make the footbridge sway! I think I would have to eat 3 of those fried pies, too. I would go home fat and happy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is quite a nice footbridge. Nice tradition to cross over it. I liked the sound of those Amish pies! -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like fun times! My grands would love the cow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. no real cows on a cow day! Sure like to try the 50cents milking exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this one, I love seeing what other people are doing around the country, nice comments as well. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lot of fun around... and many photo ops!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun is that?! The cow is my favorite..I can imagine the questions from little ones in the future, seeing a cow in a field and asking mom.."What flavor?"..funny indeed! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! I always suspected that about cows...
    My daughter once asked me if one breast was white milk and the other one was orange juice. Now I can tell her that it DOES exist!
    Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  24. For some reason I always forget you're in Kentucky and then I'll see something familiar like UK stuff :-).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the happenings in small towns.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Theresa - I did not enter the calf raffle this year. I have in previous years. There are many organizations, these days, with raffles at the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photos are terrific. I do miss my old small town. You have a fabulous site, and I am now your newest follower. I also invite you to follow my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. There is nothing like small town festivals. Thanks for sharing yours with us. Love fried pies. I used to know a lady who made apricot one. Yum.

    ReplyDelete