Sunday, January 27, 2013

Winter Comfort

I have a tendency to whine a bit about winter. I don't mind it, but I do miss the gardens, flowers, and sunshine. Winter gives me that bit of rest that I sorely need. The kids lay low on sports and I have time to read in the evenings. And, we have time for supper....together as a family. In our busy months, that doesn't happen so often.

 I found the following recipe many years ago while in Pennsylvania roaming around the vast Amish farmlands. It comes from an Amish cookbook and I think we all know that Amish ladies are well known for their delicious and hardy fare. It is simple, nutritious, and very forgiving. I often add pasta, fresh garlic, extra basil or whatever I might have on hand. Venison or sausage can substitute for the ground beef. 

 In this picture I have it topped with a torn slice of horseradish cheddar cheese. Possibly the best cheese ever conceived.



Autumn Soup (You can call it Winter Soup, if you like.)

 1lb. ground beef
 1 cup chopped onion
4 cups water
1 cup cut-up carrots
1 cup cubed/peeled potatoes
 2tsp. salt
 1Tbsp. Brown Bouquet (or Gravy Master)
 1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. basil
1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes with liquid (I used crushed tomatoes.)
 *I also add one tablespoon of Better than Bouillon beef base - it adds richness

 In bottom of Dutch oven, brown meat. Drain very well and place back into pot. Add onions and stir in remaining ingredients, except for the tomatoes. Heat to boiling, reduce and cover until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes (with liquid): cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Stir and serve.


38 comments:

  1. Oh, comfort food. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds/looks perfect for a chilly winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sending this to Elenka... hint, hint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy the down time while you have it. :) i know you gardening folks are starting to get itchy dirt-fingers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous, but I have never heard of this cheese. Can you buy it in a regular grocery store? I have to check it out. I love cheese, the stronger, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks delicious though I beg to differ about Cheddar... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy. I wonder how it would work with ground turkey. I just might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love soups and chowders in the winter and this one looks very good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make a very similar soup. I call it Hamburger soup. It is like yours except I add cauliflower and chopped cabbage. And a half a pint of my son-in-law's salsa. One of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am going to make this today I had the hamburger out and wondering what to do. Thank you I whine too:) B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks wonderful. I need to try horseradish cheese! I've never seen it. I make a lot of soup this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh ya....looks so comforting...thanks Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love winter just for those reasons you listed. The chores double..maybe triple in the warm months! ha.

    That soup looks great...and I'm going to look for that cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That does look yummy.. we're having leftover beef roast - soon.. I just did a post on the Indian powwow we attended yesterday.. do come see. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't mind winter if a couple of things are in place...snow is on the ground, a fire is in the fireplace, a good book is in my hand, and I have nowhere to be. Not much to ask ;) The recipe sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm. It looks delicious. Comfort food is Jack food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As they say "soup is good food." Especially the homemade kind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be trying this very soon! Thanks for the recipe.

    Blessings,
    Betsy
    Http://Betsy-thesimplelifeofaqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simple and delish. I too, will try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I whine about winter, too! Especially right now because I am so ready for spring. Only good thing about winter is yummy, hearty soups!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with ya, I don't mind our weather but sometimes catch myself whining a bit but only when its super cold and I'm out doing chores. I really have nothing to complain about as our weather is mild compared to most other areas.

    Soup sure looks warm and hearty, may have to give this one a spin, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. sounds good...gonna have to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here it is 12:22AM on Sunday night and you just made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, this sounds so good! I might tweak it by adding lots of beef chunks to make stew. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh that looks delicious and very soul soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I found your blog at Everyday Ruralty. That soup looks delish. I tend to whine about winter, too....and when it's too hot!!! ;-) HOPE you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. mmmmMMM!! That looks delicious! I wish I had time to make that tonight... but will definitely make a note and do this sometime this week.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i'm always on the lookout for a good soup recipe. and horseradish cheddar cheese sounds exotic - can i find it in a typical grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  29. yum yum, i'm going to pin this! what is horseradish cheese? sounds like something i have to try! where do you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks delicious and I love Amish generated type comfort foods. I'm also fascinated with that horseradish cheese. I. Need. To. Find. That.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks delicious! I've never heard of that kind of cheese...I'm guessing it has a bite to it. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am looking for horseradish cheese the next time I am shopping. You have me intrigued at trying a new cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks delish, and I LOVE horseradish cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can nearly smell it...... all the way over to Stavanger.
    Looks nice and tasty.

    ReplyDelete