Sunday, February 17, 2013

Just Another Small Town Tale

Once upon a time, many years ago, I moved here to Smalltownland.  Initially it was quite a shock.  Not only did I have to acclimate to an entirely different process of  daily life thought, I had to do the usual things.  You know, find a new doctor, new favorite grocery store, new life routine, etc...  

Though I was having mixed feelings about my new life transition, I dove into getting things in order.  After all, I had a one year old son to take care of and a job to find.  I needed to get it together.  

So, off I went to get my prescriptions transferred at the local pharmacy.  The pharmacist was incredibly friendly as he, and everyone else, knew that Secret Agent Man and I had just moved back to Smalltownland.  He told me he would get everything taken care of for me and not to worry one bit!  

How refreshing....




The following day I drove into the parking lot and the pharmacist waved at me from the opposite side of said lot....in his pick up truck no less.  He rolled down his window and yelled, at the top of his lungs, across the lot, which might I say was FULL of small town people. 

"Hey Michelle!!!!  You know those birth control pills you was lookin' for?!!!!  We ain't got 'em here!  I called the Kroger and you can go pick them up there!"  

Total and utter mortification on my part.  What about that whole confidentiality thing?! 

Just in case anyone within a ten mile radius was wondering if we were planning on adding to our family anytime soon, now they knew the truth.  

Small Town Lesson #1:  EVERYONE knows your business, even if you don't want them to.  




33 comments:

  1. oh my GOSH!!! funny now, but must have been mortifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I would have melted into the pavement! LOL!!! We live in a small town too & on a main street to boot! We get calls about "why do you still have a wreath on your front door . . . " need I say more! But, I love it too! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure this isn't a sitcom????? Too darned funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TexWisGirl - It is funny now, but certainly not back then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hilarious and embarrassing story. I can't imagine....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sheesh! Shame on him! But what a story, in retrospect!! LOL! ((hugs)), Teresa :-) OH. what is that cute flower?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi lovely lady.
    I love your small town life !! your story was so funny wow. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, patient confidentiality? Funny now, but I can imagine the sinking into the pavement feeling at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoah! And a very timely lesson for us, as we have just moved to a small town! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I come from a small town and for some things it's worth the drive to the next town over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are different nothing will ever be secret again, my husband comes from a small town population about 625 he has many stories about life there when he was a kid.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live in a small southern town also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I grew up in a small town and yes they do:) Funny. B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, small town life...I know it well. And if I don't know it, all the neighbors do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true! Our town is not real small, but even here . . . One time I was waiting at the pharmacy for my medicine and the woman at the counter took a call. She proceeded to reveal that someone I knew (the person on the other end of the phone) was on valium!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a funny story, Michelle. My health care plan has me getting any prescriptions by mail order. The mailman doesn't have access to any info unless he opens the envelopes and then reseals them. Yes, indeed, you and I live different lives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one funny story! What's not so funny is that I live in a very small town just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Michelle ! A precious life ... beautifully photographed, well seen !

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol...I know it wasn't funny then...just like having a big family....they drive you nuts but you love every minute of it...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm speechless....! I'm sure he meant well though...LOL! Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG!!!! It's just about that bad here in our small village. It's always the private stuff you don't want spread around that seems to get out. Oh my. I'm sure you really were mortified. lol....

    ReplyDelete
  22. gotta love it!!! I...myself, have been known to use another pharmacy...in another town...to fill a prescription or two!!!

    this post....sure made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Santa Fe is not that small but from Phoenix to here I learned the same lesson, everyone knows my business.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Made me smile, and nod with a knowing smile.

    Love that Ogden Nash quote - and the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a priceless story! It sounds like something that could have happened in my home town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hilarious! I love it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not too sure I'd have appreciated that!

    My grandparents lived in a tiny village and the lack of privacy was something I hated, you couldn't move an inch without someone seeing you and asking you where you were going, what you were doing... It's okay when you get along with people but some of them were rather nasty...

    Lovely spring photo btw!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha! That just cracked me up! Although it must have been HUMILIATING at the time! You are right, things are definitely different in a small town. In Vegas if I wanted home are car insurance, I simply purchased online and never really had an agent. Here, the agent comes to your house, and you get to know him! How novel right?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now that's an introduction to Smalltown living!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That beats any intro to Small Town Life that I ever had! To funny!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my ...I'm sure it was a transition you had to get used to Michelle. I now feel the same in a way, althrough I am living in in a pretty suburb after my entire life in a crowded urban city. I enjoy the quiet, the profusion of wildlife we have here and the gorgeous views of the Colorado foothills and best of all being close to my kids and grandkids. I will always love NYC, however, and a piece of my heart will always be there!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A really smart guy! We have many of that kind here...

    ReplyDelete