Sunday, April 7, 2013

Rajun' Cajun

One of the best things we did while we were in the New Orleans area was to leave the city and venture out into the surrounding swamps. It sounded like a great idea.
  And then....we arrived at our destination.
 Situated between a truck stop and a drive-thru daiquiri stand, I was skeptical when we arrived. Arthur was the business owner and was all fired up to show us the Nutria he had just caught and had in a plastic tote bin!  Thankfully they were still living.
  Nice!
We also signed our waivers in his living room surrounded by necklaces with gator teeth hanging from them.
I was not feeling confident.
 


But, I was so mistaken!  
Greg was the captain of our ship, I mean air boat.  Though he was just as much a character as Arthur, he was an expert in the swamp.  We went into open areas as well as little nooks and crannies such as this.  


He used our cameras several times to take pictures of us all.  We are the nuts in the back row. 


Greg had his hands on all of the animals, as you can see in this picture.  Yes, we all touched the gator because we were all high on swamp fumes, I reckon. 


He also took us to this area with this row of cypress trees that grew from one log that fell into the water. 



Here is the captain with a Nutria.  A non-native rodent introduced from Argentina many years ago. They were everywhere in the swamp.



We saw Owls, Eagles, Nutria and plenty of gators, baby!  

My kids would say that this was the best thing we did while in New Orleans. 
I would say it was a plantation house we visited. 
More on that later. 


38 comments:

  1. Morning Michelle, wow!!!! thanks for sharing, looks really wild in the swamp, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just smiling! When you get off the beaten tourist path of New Orleans it can only be experienced truly with a native...

    The airboat rides are a blast. A swamp filled with rodents and gators is definitely a day to remember.

    Welcome home.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a lot of fun...great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now that is pretty cool - there is something mysterious and truly lovely about this landscape (except i'm not a big gator fan!)

    have you read the book swamplandia by karen russell? your tour reminded me of it~

    ReplyDelete
  5. High on swamp fumes? I love that! Looks like a fun outing, even if a bit scary. I'm not too keen on petting gators!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks for taking us on the swamp tour. I don't think I would have touched the gator. I love the cypress trees that grew from one fallen log.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'd love that tour! love the row of cypress trees! we get an occasional nutria here in our pond. dogs 2 - nutria 0. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful photos. I love this area very much! Thanks for the show.
    Greetings from Germany
    Grey Owl/Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle,awesome outing!! Love,love that moss hanging from the trees!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle.. I absolutely LOVED seeing this and your story! I'm with you, there is nothing better than getting off the beaten path to have a memorable experience. I would have touched the gator, for sure! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful but those gators lurking would keep me far away...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a memorable tour and I would like to do that. I can see why your kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your pictures and it is definitely a trip everyone should go on - once! I am with you..take me to the plantation! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Personally I would rather leave the swamp to the gators and visit the architecture -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my..you are brave! They trees are spectacular and it looks like your family had fun. I will be looking forward to the next photos of the plantation house. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been there, done that and I am with you on the Plantation Houses!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha...well, you had fun! What an adventure...lovely area!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a great outing. What a way to make a living though, handling gators every day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your captain is pretty dumb. There is a captain down in the Everglades who lost his hand last year by feeding an alligator. Not to mention that it is illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jack - I don't doubt that feeding the alligators is illegal. Though our captain has 11 years experience, I am sure he does a lot of things for visitor excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woah, that is awesome! I don't know about the gator though, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow! I'd love to take that trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Que lugar mas espectacular ..bonito..Saludos desde Las Islas Canarias

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like a great area to explore. I was in New Orleans in 2000 but never had an the chance to look at the everglades looks like I missed out, this look a bit like our top end in the Northern Territory.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
  25. ohhh i'll have to get caught up on your new orleans trip! we took and air boat ride in the everglades, so much fun! loved it! great looking family you all are!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband had an airboat many years ago before I met him -- would have loved to have a ride on it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what an awesome adventure...your kiddos will never forget it...awesome photos...can't wait to hear about your other adventures...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Something your kids will remember forever. What a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful!!! and scary - what with alligators and all...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have seen these places only in movies (always scary) or in documentaries (mildly scary), but I would absolutely enjoy an experience like this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How cool!!! What an amazing vacation!! I can't wait to see your plantation photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  32. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd enjoy an outing like that. Wow!

    I agree with the kids (young adults).

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful shots. I know you'll be pleased with the gator shot but the second one is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete