Sunday, August 4, 2013

Watermelon Jam



I can only imagine what life must have been like for Chef John Folse growing up in the New Orleans area.  His cookbook, The Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine, is like an 808 page love letter to his cultural roots.  Part history book, but mostly cookbook, it is filled to the brim with recipes tied to his youth and, many times, family members.  

My copy has been poured over many times and has quite a few post it notes stuck to pages, but I have hardly made a dent in the volume of recipes the book contains.  One recipe that did catch my eye this summer was for watermelon jam.  

Thus I went on a search for a ripe, local watermelon.  I had to do this because there was an unfortunate situation between my husband, the weed eater, and the garden. Our melon plants ended up in garden heaven.  That is all I have to say about that.  I picked out this beauty and I recently learned the secret to selecting a ripe melon is to look at the, "belly".  That is the bottom of the melon where it rested in the garden.  If it is white, it is not ripe.  If it is yellow, then you are all set.  




Next, I cut a section off of the bottom and .....





set the watermelon on the end and cut the rind off this way.  Much easier to take off the rind and the white section, as I really only wanted the ripe, red flesh part.  




After I cubed the melon, I removed any seeds.  Then the melon had to sit with a sugar and lemon juice mixture.  An interesting recipe that yielded jam so sweet that it reminded me of a Sweet Tart Candy.  




If you are feeling adventurous, the recipe is below.  






Watermelon Jam

1 1/2 cups watermelon, chopped and seeded
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 package (1.75 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
3/4 cup water

Sterilize 2 (1-pint) jars with lids according to package directions. ( I used small jars without a problem.)   Set aside.  In large bowl, stir together melon, sugar, and lemon juice.  Set aside 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  In small saucepan, blend pectin and water.  Boil mixture over high heat 1 minutes, stirring constantly.  Pour pectin mixture into watermelon and stir 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.  Quickly pour jam into sterilized jars and seal.  Boil jars in water 12-15 minutes.  Let stand at room temperature 24 hours to set Opened jars may be stored in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.



32 comments:

  1. I have never had that, they used to save the rind part after people ate the center and they would cut that into chunks and candy it and use it in winter baking like fruit cake type of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how it would be on ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy, that is a good idea. It tasted so oddly sweet to me! Just different than what I am used to I suppose!

      Delete
  3. Michelle this sounds so yummy and looks so pretty..
    I might have to give this a try.. hugs, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished cutting up a watermelon and I like the way you do it better. I'll try it next time. Not sure about that jam though - may be too sweet for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! Sounds good! Sorry to hear there was a weed eater accident, it's been known to happen here on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try that!! I'm from Oklahoma and we love watermelon.. it's in our genes. My uncle had a whole extra refrigerator FILLED with only watermelon! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, you must be a heckuva good cook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really good, Michelle! I might give it a try! Thanks for sharing and for the info about how to tell if a watermelon is ripe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos I love but watermelon and melon I can't swallow. One of only a very few things that I can't even be near because the mere smell makes me feel sick...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh I once had this cookbook (too heavy to carry around on my adventures) but I still didn't know you can make watermelon jam, plus I did not know how to pick out a ripe one. We do not own or need a weedeater and it is a good thing. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tasted watermelon jam, never knew it existed, I've always eaten watermelon on hot summer days cooled a bit not too much it needs not to be to cold as it doesn't taste as good. That's a good tip about if it's ripe or not might grow some this summer.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one that have weedeater incidents :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've never heard of watermelon jam ... maybe the watermelon crawl. ha. ha!! sounds delicious!

    thanks, for the music suggestion the other day - they are great. i went to itunes & checked them out. kind of bluegrassy ... i rather do like them so. have a good week. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a jam from watermelon rind and lemons a couple of summers ago. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of this before but it looks YUM-O!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've never heard of watermelon jam before, kind of has me thinking about watermelon stix, remember those? loved them! i need to check out that cook book. i love cook books with stories!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now, that is a beautiful jam recipe. I can see that jam working its way onto a cheese board on a Friday evening with wine.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of it either, but I bet it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never heard of this, but it does sound kind of good to me. Not good enough to make myself, but now I would buy it if I ever see it at a farmers' market!

    ReplyDelete
  20. No way any pulp of watermelon will survive to be 'jammed'...

    ReplyDelete
  21. never heard of the is jam but I am sure it lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting! I've never heard of watermelon jam, but it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooooo, I'm thinking that this is some gooooooood stuff!
    Love the look of that ripe melon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ummmm looks yummy...I love sweet tarts...and watermelon...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never even heard of that before but I do have some watermelon I need to use up. How long do you think it would last in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband would love this jam as watermelon is one of his favorites. If I can find some little canning jars I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never considered watermelon jam before . . it sure is pretty.
    (Thank you for the belly tip . . how cool are you?)
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never seen this before.
    Looks good.
    Enjoy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds yummy and intriguing...will have to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete