Auction Day

 Ahhhh.....Labor Day Weekend!  The last hurrah of summer. The weekend of yard sales, swimming pools, and family cookouts.  Also the weekend of auctions.  

My story begins with this bad photograph.  "Something", is in this shot.  My hair perhaps?  Anyway, this sale was off the charts.  The trucks parked in this photo do not even begin to exhibit the number of people present.  The road to the auction, which was only one car wide, was lined with cars/trucks and barely passable.  The striped tent, in the distance, was our destination.  


Many folks in attendance brought a wagon.  A lot of farm machinery was up for grabs as well as a few household items.  




I took notice of this crock, the old chairs, and the teapot that would hit the auction block.  



There were a few quilts to take notice of as well.  




I have to say that I really liked this dresser.  And, if it were not for the 5,000 degree temperatures outside, I might have stayed to bid on it.   The Amish ladies in attendance really had it going on.  Not a drop of sweat was on their person and  they were equipped with chilled watermelon and other food items to make the day more tolerable.  




I really took notice of this old cook stove up for bid.  It is the real deal and just not something you see everyday.  




On a totally different note, we stopped by a gun auction on the same morning.  It was a consignment auction and totally on the up and up.  All paperwork had to be filed, etc....  Many, many firearms were on the block as well as collectible coins.  



An 1868 nickel went for $5.00.  I think I should have bid on that.....just to have it for the historical value alone.  







Comments

  1. sounds HOT but cool, too. :) lots of folks out to look and (hopefully) buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to an auction in several years, I haven't seen any around here this year come to think of it. But then I don't get out much. I like it when they have boxes of neat stuff and sell the whole box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to go to auctions, but it has been a long time. Mainly because this house is so full there is no room for anything else.

    And, yes, from your description of your daughter, she does seem like my daughter's time-warped twin. If your daughter goes on to get her M.B.A. and marry a South African, let me know . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness.. did you get anything? I would love that crock and a quilt or 2. It's even hot here.. 77! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I didn't buy a thing! It was too hot at the farm auction and we didn't stay very long!

      Delete
  5. Now that is my kind of way to spend a day!!!My question is, what did you purchase? Greetings from hot, humid Maine, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun auction to attend! I like auctions but don't attend them often because of crowds like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun! And very familiar to me! Gun auctions are always a lot more work...all that paperwork! Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife and I LOVE auctions. We started going to them before we were married and most of our house is furnished with things from auctions. We have auctions around here all year long. Even have annual ones every New Years Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like fun but sounds hot and miserable like it has been here this weekend. Kind of makes shopping not as much fun as it normally would be. Looks like there was a lot of fun stuff to see though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My youngest sister and her husband go to auctions all the time. I have never been to one, but am beginning to be intrigued by the idea. Hot and humid is not fun, though. There were some great items for sale, though! Hope you got something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like a lot of fun...my Mom found a wedding ring quilt...hand quilted at a thrift store for $14 and it fits her Queen sized bed...she was jumping up and down...not a bad spot on it either..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those quilts were pretty and the crock is great. A fun thing to do on the last holiday of the season. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a dresser just like that, even the door pulls. -Lowell

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those white chairs and the reflection shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that's what you call a great auction! LOVE the farm surroundings and of course, the beautiful things for sale....Ohhh, the stove grabbed my heart! Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh great goodness.....I needed to be visiting you today. I would have had myself a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So did you end up with anything?

    I love those quilts and the stove!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Love auctions bit have no more room for anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like really good items up for sale. Loved the dresser too....we have a hall tree that looks similar..same wood, era, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Auctions are fun, even if you are not bidding. Any luck?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You photographed some great finds. I'll be so happy when the weather cools.
    Wishing you and yours a great Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There were some great items. Love the quilts. Auctions are definitely one of my favorites. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never been to a auction I would love to go.
    Merle....

    ReplyDelete
  24. The wife loves the dresser too...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  25. The dresser is my favorite!:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aren't the auctions always on the 5000 degree days?

    ReplyDelete
  27. The stove on wheels looks an interesting item. Never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts