Share and Share Alike

A tiny, retreat cabin behind a home here in Smalltownland.


Living in a small town can be a funny thing.  On one hand it is great.  On the other hand  it can be odd.  

The other day it was just odd.  

My daughter and I had left school and stopped at a gas station on our way out to the farmette.  This gas station is more like a local hang out for folks who live in my area of the county.  It is not fancy by any means, but it provides gas, hot food, and the essentials of daily living.  Each morning, after the school bus run, the local bus drivers meet here for coffee and breakfast.  

I pulled up to a gas pump and went inside to prepay.  When I came back out a man, who had pulled up behind me, was filling two gas cans.....on my pump....with my funds!  

I think my mouth fell open when he said he didn't know I was using the pump.  

Seriously?  

I went inside and told the owner, Gary, that the gentleman had started filling his gas cans.  He smiled and said it was okay and he would reset the pump.  

Gary is an Indian gentleman who owns said station.  I think we all know his real name is not Gary, but he takes pity on us country folks and makes it easy on us.  

All was well and I am glad to help a neighbor, but I can't share my gas.  

The End

Comments

  1. Odd is right,,, may be even bizarre?! I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had that happen, guess you have to stick the nozzle in your tank to prove ownership while inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is definitely great (and odd) about small town life. I grew up in one, and know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Afternoon Michelle, that is odd, but do like small town life still, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously, he did not know who he was dealing with! In the South, I thought it was shoot first, question later. :-}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was just trying to get something for nothing, happens in cities too just human nature, but did he think he would get away with it.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love small town life, but that's too much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good evening Michelle, yup...part of small town life...honestly...some people don't have the sense they were born with...or perhaps it was an honest mistake...alls well that ends well...Greetings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what I would give for that little vintage log cabin and that dock and pond! Lucky people!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just noticed I'm not on your blog list. :-( :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like something that would happen to me...I wonder what Gary's real name is...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm either a simple , or a calculated mistake ~ made by either a simple or calculated mind lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL.......reminds me of a friend who was in shock when a gentleman walked up to her table and with his fork, he took a bite out of her piece of pie. He was a total stranger.....but he said he wanted to know what it tasted like. After his bite, he left! I can only imagine the shocked look on her face!!!

    Country life.......it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds very much like city grief coming to the country... That little cabin would do me nicely thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. could have been a genuine mistake. Al. Was well anyhow when you explained to the owner so no harm done. We all make mistakes. love the hoot you took.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Morning Michelle, LOVE the little cabin by the lake....grabs my heart! And the man pumping (i mean taking) your gas, well, nothing doesn't surprise me anymore! Have a Blessed Thanksgiving~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh haha funny, I'd be like what the heck... Happy it worked out. BTW love love love this photo.. I would happily stay there, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. goodness rather rude but makes a funny antidote and I'd so love to have a cabin like this to go to...gorgeous setting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They say that this happens here too, and quite often: not with cans, but with cars... And now I want to know Gary's real name!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness..that's one of those events that just make you stand there with your jaw dropped. Maybe he thought he could get the gas and get gone before you caught him! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good job, Gary! I'm glad he was looking out for you. That's a pretty photo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmm. I'm glad Gary reset the pump for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. lol! No kidding! Not at these prices especially!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woah, I would have been a little bit shocked as well! Glad you got it worked out :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh boy ... The man was totally absent minded or had another agenda ... Either way, it's great that it all ended right with Gary's help!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha -- I'd file that one under 'What is Wrong with People?!' Glad "Gary" fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We don't have to prepay yet in our small town life. The day that changes, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts