Catch Up Day

This barn photo has nothing to do with this post.


Saturdays have become, "Catch Up Days", around our house.  With a busy weekday schedule, Saturday is the day for doing all the chores that have gone undone during the week.  

My first stop was at our locally owned Smalltownland pharmacy.  Medication for the man-child of the house was in order.  (Ragweed, I curse you!) Which led to conversations with the pharmacist about how our children are old enough now to go to the doctor by themselves and life is changing.  

Next up, a stop at the farm store.  This family owned and run store is a staple here in Smalltownland.  While browsing the, "Ladies Section", my list from Secret Agent Man was reviewed, filled, and waiting for me when I was ready to check out.  Which led to conversations about football and basketball games,   rough starts to the seasons, facial wrinkles, and blogging.  I could have stayed and talked much longer, yet I had more stops to make.  But, not before I snatched a freshly baked snickerdoodle from the counter.  Thanks Ms. E!  

Then, it was on to the grocery store.  Really not a favorite chore of mine.  However, it was made better by conversations at the check out with a retired teacher who now works part time at the store.  A little more talk about football and life in general made this task so enjoyable that I didn't notice that I had dropped my drivers license in the shopping cart.  

Next up, a stop at a local produce stand for more conversation and a very young student who took my purchases out to my truck.  Awwwwww......

As soon as I arrived at home my phone rang.  A parent who knows me from school let me know she had found my drivers license and would I like for her to bring it out my way?  She said she would pass by my road in a few minutes.  

A meet up with the parent and a profuse thank you session had me  back at home thinking about how lucky I am to be here.  It isn't perfect, by far, but what a difference it can make in life. 


"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself." 

unknown  





Comments

  1. It is a blessing to know folks and how kind of the lady to bring you your license. Hope the week ahead goes smoothly.
    I sure would love one of those snickerdoodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound slike a great Saturday "Catch-up" Day.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, contentment. All of us who have it are most fortunate and blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really awesome slice of small town life you shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great folk around you. Michelle.
    What a relief about your driver's licence, such good neighbours . . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You live in a great place! I'm glad you shared the picture of the barn that has nothing to do with the post. It's a beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice day of errands, with all the nice people to chat with along the way. I'm glad you got your license back.. indeed that is the countryside for you.. honesty and helping your neighbor. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds kind of like around here. We went to a community yard sale out in the country and my wife got a pair of
    rubber boots to do chores in. That is how to make a country girl happy, a good pair of rubber boots for $3.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in a place like that, Michelle, and it was a great way to grow up, indeed. It IS a blessing. Your post made me homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small town folks can drive you nuts sometimes, but to me, it is the best place to be. People know you, help you, chat with you etc. Glad you got your driver's license back. Busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great, love small town life.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Takes me back in years when I was a child....living in a small, small town..... The Best ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. rural living is the best -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when I'm in nowhere, where everybody cares :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, you paint such compelling word pictures, I feel like I was there. But, honestly, I wasn't. Don't worry. I was here the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. O,I grew up in a small town and loved it so much. Had a magnificent childhood and I am almost positive that small town had a LOT to do with it.:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. For me, every day is the same and I feel really lucky about that. We had a fun weekend, we visited a small town and got a little taste of rural life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. your life is so different than my own, but i love that you have a community like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the sky in your photo. Nice post too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always lived in built up areas and would like to get a taste of what it is like living in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are definite pluses to living where everyone knows you, or knows of you! I'm glad you did not have to go through the hassle of getting a new licence!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so lovely! We drive out to the 'country' every weekend just to get some space, perspective and love it so much. That photo is beautiful, I love barn photos - any barn photo really!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots to be grateful for. Love the unknown phrase - going onto my list of favorite quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very nice post! I like also the unrelated photo...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember those Saturdays. It's better now. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Saturdays are like that for me too! By Sunday night, my feet hurt from running around getting "caught up"...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a day filled with good people along your way.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love living in the middle of nowhere. But as winter is fast approaching, I'm thinking I might like to be living in the middle of nowhere further south. Sounds like a busy but fun day, making you reflect upon your blessings. Good for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the pretty barn ... such a serene view! Our saturdays are catch up days as well ... and in the evening then, settling down and having a cozy dinner together :)
    Wonderful you got your drivers licence back - such a sweet lady, to see to that you got it the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. A great community spirit.

    Always good to hear about how a persons week is organised, at the moment I'd like to campaign for a secret 8th day of the week :-)

    Your eye for composition is better than maybe what a lot of people appreciate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts