Marble Cake and Sop

Before Christmas break the staff at my school gathered for our annual holiday dinner.  This year we were lucky to have it catered by our new maintenance man.  A regular renaissance man who hunts, gathers, fixes everything, and is noted to be a master gardener.  Did I mention that he is also a great cook?  

I work with some creative and wonderful people.  




He fired up the grill and cooked chicken with many salads and side dishes.  It was excellent.  And, then there was the dessert table.  There were seven different cakes to choose from.  I admit that I am not much of a cake lover, but even this spread intrigued me.  

When you send your husband out for butter he comes back with a brick of it.....even larger than a brick.  

His wife insisted that I try the Marble Cake with Sop.  Did she mean sauce?  No, she informed me, it was called Sop.  Now, several other teachers in attendance were familiar with Sop, but not I, and I knew I had to try it.  


The cake recipe called for Rum, but I live in the backyard of the Historic Bourbon Trail, so Bourbon it is.  

It turned out to be just about the best cake I ever had.  Sop turned out to be a sauce type of thing that soaks into the cake.  Heaven in a bowl, and yes, you need a bowl.  




Since we are in the last days of 2014 I decided to splurge and whip up this recipe at home.  You know, before we all get healthy with the ringing in of the new year. 



You can find the recipe for Marble Cake right here.  



As for the Sop you will need: 

2 sticks of butter
2 cups of powdered sugar
2 cups of half-n-half 

Bring to a boil on the stove and serve hot over a nice, thick slice of cake.  

"Cakes are special.  Every birthday, every celebration, ends with something sweet, a cake, and people remember.  It's all about the memories." 

Buddy Valastro  




Comments

  1. i love bourbon, too. not so much on rum. :) looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just call it a 'whiskey cake', and I would also add some whiskey to the sop. Yum, yum, yummmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I will have to add some Bourbon to my next batch of sop!

      Delete
  3. Sounds really good! Too bad I don't cook and bake anymore. I'll have to get one of my girls to make it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gracious, that sop sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just put on a kilo just looking at those pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks 'good enough to eat'! YUMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I don't get the chance
    Happy new year to you
    Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yummy Michelle, looks so good. Thanks, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my, that looks wonderful. We've done the bourbon trail and have been to Maker's Mark twice. We've even dipped our own bottles. There's no better bourbon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, that looks like a New Year's cake! - the kind you eat right after making a resolution to not eat another one for the rest of the winter. LOL Too delicious!!! And btw, I think my grandma used to use the word 'sop.' Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! SO delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Going to try this weekend. He sounds like a very talented man for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Almost makes me want to learn to bake, almost.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! We used to do carrot pudding when I was growing up. It sounds gross but it was a lot like carrot cake, and it was served with a sauce that reminds me of sop. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gadzooks.. I wish you'd have taken a photo of the table all laden with his delights! My new years resolution is no more ice cream in the fridge. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had my full attention with the whiskey bottle, but now you have me completely intrigued by the Sop. Definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the parallel stories and the cake in the making, and I am not a cake lover either... I would gladly take your advice and make an exception for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Although I'm not a big 'cake guy', I've always liked the look of a good marble cake and throw in a little bourbon and I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! Looks like mine kind of cake ;)
    I make a lemon one with sop, but the recipe doesn't call it that ... what a fun name.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this looks really good and tasty! I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR...
    Warm hug,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  20. OHHHHHHHH That looks so good! I've got a cake hater in my house with a birthday coming up. She might like this as an alternative to ice cream cake in a cold January...

    ReplyDelete
  21. i've never heard of SOP? interesting word & sound too. thanks for the suggestion. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad your year-end party was so good. Congrats to the new janitor and cook . . . he rocks.

    And where is it written that next year we are going to eat healthier? I don't know about you, but I plan to continue eating what tastes good. We only live once, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Maintenance Man and his Wife sound like people worth knowing . . lots of great surprises in your life . . I'm grateful you take time to share - i feel wealthy having your stories in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never heard of sop, but now that I have I think I need more of it in my life. Sounds like frosting you can drink, which is never a bad idea. I wish we had a maintenance man like yours! :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts