Stuck in the Coop


Currently, at my house, there is a running bet between my daughter and my husband.  The daughter thinks we will have school tomorrow and the husband says it is a no-go.  Me?  Well, I am a bit hopeful, but the realist in me says that we won't go to school.....again.  

Prepping some corn tortillas. 


So, I continue to cook, read books, watch some old episodes of No Reservations, and blog a bit.  In better weather I would be outside walking with the dogs, but walking in knee deep snow isn't much fun.  Not for me or the dogs.  


Garden green beans, corn, and some fresh chopped garlic.  

I even took down the light fixtures, including all ceiling fan globes, and washed them.  Seriously.  Maybe that is a sign I have been inside too long.  My son wanted to know why I was doing all of this since it wasn't even spring.  *sigh*  


Southwestern Vegetable Soup.....it is good.  


I stopped cleaning long enough to make some Southwestern Vegetable Soup.  It is one of my favorite soup recipes.  My son and daughter have a big bowl with a grilled cheese sandwich.  The husband likes a medium sized bowl with crackers.  Me?  I like a small bowl with just a sprinkle of cheese on top.  We are like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  

Make a batch.  Warm up and enjoy.....


Southwestern Vegetable Soup 

6 cups chicken broth
1  14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice (want spicer?  Use a can of Rotel) 
1 cup water
1 cup canned dark red kidney beans, with liquid  ( I like a can of pinto beans with liquid.) 
1 cup frozen yellow cut corn
1 cup frozen green beans 
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 cup diced Spanish onion  (A regular onion will suffice.) 
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 corn tortillas,  finely minced 
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder 
dash garlic powder (For the love of all that is holy, use 3 cloves of fresh chopped garlic.)
* I like to add some chicken to this recipe.  A couple of cans of chicken or leftover chicken will do.  Shred finely, for best results. 

Combine all the soup ingredients in a large dutch oven.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.  

To serve ladle soup into a bowl and garnish with cheese, if desired.  Who doesn't desire cheese?  


Make it, eat it, and enjoy it.  

That is an order......




Comments

  1. That soup looks and sounds delish! I might copy that recipe and put it in my soup file. I loooove No Reservations. He's so adventurous and his sense of humor cracks me up. Enjoy your home time.. wish cleaning was what I would do.. but it would be crochet instead. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I don't know how to crochet! Wish I did! I might have to learn! Enjoy your good weather!

      Delete
  2. Hello Michelle, your soup looks and sounds delicious.. I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup looks so good, and I bet you have another day off tomorrow to enjoy the left-overs, if there is any!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can do! This soup has everything we love around here. We still have some snow left from last week, but didn't get the snow and ice yesterday that many got here on the East coast. Temps are lovely 44 degrees and I can hear the melting snow dripping from the roof. School for me tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I am, wishing I didn't have to go to school tomorrow, but not a snowflake to be seen here! On the other hand, if it means cleaning the chandeliers, maybe I'd rather go to shcool... I'd like a bowl of soup first, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup looks amazing...I just told my hubby that I needed to have a big pot of soup or chili going on the stove. Raining here with sleet just behind. Hope you get to make that school day...I know had hard it is when those days have to made up.
    Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that looks like a fun recipe to try. yummy i bet. you guys enjoy!! i loved that as a kid ... when we would bet about school. i hope you get your wish. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh ya, looks so tasty, thanks Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Looks like I need a place at your table tonight. Seen your waether... going with the Mr.btw Elenka has used 6 snow days so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today makes #8 for us so far this year. Tomorrow is not looking much better either!

      Delete
  10. Oh ya, in the snow last night we mad a 'wicked corn chowder' with homemade French bread. Another mmmmmmmmm. Did I spell everything right this time????????

    ReplyDelete
  11. the soup looks delish. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like homemade soup to help chase away the chill. I am assuming that they will have school tomorrow here in the city, but I don't know how clear the subdivision roads are. I'm definitely getting a little tired of winter. Make that a lot tired. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your soup sounds delicous, I hope you can get out soon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks and sounds so yummy!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy that sounds good! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are making me feel hungry! (Want to come clean my ceiling fans?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothing like homemade soup ! we are still at home as it's Chinese New Year holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you are able to get out soon. Your soup looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that looks tasty. Oh and St. Vincent was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Theres nothing like soup on a wintry day and we have had lots of winter here, so I coild use another soup recipe, thanks Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We're supposed to be in the negative digits in the morning, so I'm guessing my boys will be home again. I'm so sure of it, I'm not packing their lunches tomorrow. I might jinx the whole thing! haha.

    Soup weather for sure...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Recipe sounds really great and we are fans of green chilies they make any dish pop with more flavor!
    No school here in the Dallas suburbs-we are in the middle of an ice storm.
    Stay warm and safe, Michelle~
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always wanted a recipe for this soup - thanks! A nice way to spend a snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. that soup sounds yummy! I may give it a try, without the cheese ;) thanks for stopping by. Funny how the snow just isn't going away and so our communities just can't seem to decide what to do with it! Here they've opted for a delay. The weather calls for a wintry mix in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yuuuum - Soup is the best! I'll have to give this recipe a go :) I can imagine how awesome it must be as a kid to get snow days off school... the closest we go to that was we got a day off if the weather was over 40 degrees for more than three days in a row. Which doesn't really happen :/

    ReplyDelete
  26. The soup sounds yummy and comforting during a cold winter day. So, who won the bet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband won the bet. No school today and it doesn't look good for tomorrow. With the temps so cold, nothing is melting and our side country roads are a mess.

      Delete
  27. The soup looks delicious! I think we're all sick to death of winter, but I'm not quite to the point of washing light fixtures. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say my light fixtures are so sparkly right now! lol

      Delete
  28. We are iced in today in Texas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful! Ice is much worse than snow!

      Delete
  29. Soup looks wonderful! How'd it go, who won?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The husband won as we are at home again today. With our below freezing temps our side roads are still a mess. Tomorrow is not looking good either!

      Delete
  30. A bit too complicated for my scarce skills, but I am sure it is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh no! I've just had dinner (a late one, it's almost 9 pm) and now I'm hungry all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Our weather is gorgeous....but I am homebound with a bout of bronchitis! So, I haven't been busy doing much of anything except reading, watching TV and getting on the computer a little. That's about it. The soup sounds so warm and comforting to me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  33. mmmmm. i would take it with a little shredded cheese on top! but...grilled cheese, another YUM!

    (i remember those 'snow days', growing up in NY. reading...playing monopoly with brother & sister...and watching the mid day 'million dollar movie'. we also liked to make snowmen & forts!)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I could use a bowl of that right this minute lol it's 2 below here ...
    delicious hot soup would hit the spot . YUM

    ReplyDelete
  35. Soup!!!! Yes, please . . . (yum.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts