Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Southern Foodways


Last week I went to my very first cooking show.

It was awesome. 

  A trio of us went to the Big City to watch The Lee Brothers and Ed Lee present their very first production of, The Boiled Peanut Hour.  Part cooking show, history lesson, and snack session, it turned out to be a wonderful evening.  All three highlighted the importance of not only preserving Southern Foodways, but understanding the history and relevance of each dish.  

And, we are not talking fancy stuff here.  Soups, simple steak recipes, egg salad with shrimp, and let's not forget the boiled peanuts.  


So I upped my game and made a batch of spicy pimiento cheese served on pork rinds.  Yes, that's right.  Chef Ed Lee served this Southern classic on pork rinds and it was absolutely tasty.  So much so I bought my first bag of pork rinds....ever.  

Below I will share with you a pretty standard recipe for Pimiento Cheese. You can spice it up anyway you like.  Chef Ed Lee used some Korean Chili Paste.  I ended up using some Thai Curry Paste.  Tabasco works well too. 


Creamy Pimiento Cheese 

8 ounces extra sharp cheese, grated
8 ounces Velveeta cheese 
1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (Dukes is a good substitute.)
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (You need way more than that.) 
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 jar (2 ounces) minced pimiento, drained
1/4 cup chopped pecans, (totally optional) 

Blend in food processor and chill.  


Eat it all on pork rinds. 

 You won't be sorry.  



30 comments:

  1. I think going to a cooking show would be very fun! I've never heard of the Lee Brothers..the site was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the joys of being a Southerner!! Might I recommend to you any book written by Scott Brunner. You'll roll on the floor laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the the suggestion! I just looked him up and added him to my list!!

      Delete
  3. I never thought of filling pork rinds, just dipping them in hot sauce. Opens up a whole new field of appetizers. I had my first grilled pimento cheese sandwich a couple of years ago and it was the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PC is really great on a burger as well. Haven't tried grilled PC yet, but will!

      Delete
  4. This looks really tasty. I just came across a Caramelized Onion Dip recipe I have to try out next!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really tasty. I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well.. that is quite the recipe! The one that sounds good to me is the egg salad with shrimp! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope. I'm too afraid I'd become addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good time at the cooking show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cooking show, I never been to one, sounds like fun.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never bought pork rinds and don't plan to. I could, however, totally go for that pimento cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first purchase and, after trying them at the show, I had to purchase a bag. Crunchy and no carbs :)

      Delete
  11. Hmmm. I have never tried pork rinds. BUT the pimiento cheese sounds to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Egg salad with shrimp!!

    I never thought of such a thing, but I think it must be good!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so neat... Awesome opportunity. Glad you shared

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the show sounds like it will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been to one cooking show once many many years ago. It was on mushroom dishes. It is fun to watch it live.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never eaten pork rinds. Maybe, I better try some, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's great to preserve one's cooking heritage. In olden days, a Swedish bride had to be able to pickle herring in 35 different ways. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. how fun! we very rarely find boiled peanuts here but they were on every corner when we lived in georgia...my daughter misses them! pimento cheese is big here and my husband loves pork rinds...he buys the bbq or spicy...really sounds disgusting when you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love pork rinds to the moon and back...Mr. Sweet would really rather be married to one than to me. lol
    I can't wait to try these...we are having our home fellowship gathering at the Summer House this coming Sunday and I will make up a batch of these....thanks, Small Town Girl. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, yum! I could definitely dive into a few of these! Sharing might be hard, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun you have had! I have never thought to put anything ON a pork rind and I must say I haven't had one since I was a child. I think I have deprived my kiddos, too. Might just try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. my Pop-Pop loved pork rinds ... i always thought they were too salty. my parents love pimiento cheese. i'm not a fan. you enjoy!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Boiled Peanut Hour? Only in Smalltownland.

    ReplyDelete