Sunday, August 2, 2015

Chicken Cordon Bleu


During my high school career I took a few years of French language classes.  I did the same during my college tenure and enjoyed these classes just as much as I did in high school.  Two fantastic instructors made all the difference.  

My high school teacher was an independent spirit who thumbed her nose at the ordinary and other people's opinions of her.  We all loved her Gloria Steinem sunglasses and the Camaro she drove around town.  

In one of my favorite memories, she allowed her French classes to take over the Home Economics room and cook a feast of French food.  She brought some recipes and the students shopped for the supplies with funding from the foreign language club funds.  This recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu is her recipe from that day.  


You will need boneless chicken breasts.  A slice of ham and Swiss cheese will be rolled inside each breast.  



Held together with a couple of toothpicks, coat the chicken roll in a flour/paprika combination.  





Brown the chicken in a little butter with olive oil.  



Turn down the heat, cover the chicken, and allow it to simmer for about thirty minutes.  



At this point you will need to deglaze the pan with some chicken stock and white wine.  My French teacher couldn't allow us to make this recipe without the wine, so she brought some in a jelly jar.  Can you imagine that happening today?  




After deglazing the pan a little cream will finish off the sauce.  
Plate and enjoy 



Chicken Cordon Bleu 

6 medium/boneless/skinless chicken breasts ((I used four just fine.) 
Swiss cheese slices
Ham slices
6 tbsp butter
Olive oil (at your discretion) 
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp paprika (I used a bit more.) 
1 tbsp cornstarch 

Spread chicken breasts flat.  Fold cheese and ham to fit on top.  Roll, fastening edges with toothpicks. Mix flour and paprika.  Coat chicken pieces in this.  In a skillet cook chicken in butter with a dash of olive oil.  Use medium heat to brown on all sides.  Add wine and stock, gently scraping the pan.  Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for about thirty minutes. 

 Remove toothpicks, at this point.  (If you can't get them out, just have your kids do it when it is finished cooking.)  

In a cup, mix cream and cornstarch, until smooth.  Gradually stir into the skillet.  Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Serve sauce over chicken.  

Enjoy  







27 comments:

  1. You had a wild childhood! French cuisine, wine and no doubt lots of stories not being told, yet 8-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Me & Julia Childs love French cuisine...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I miss the good old days when wine could be brought to class for a legitimate purpose and no one made a fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A teacher smuggling wine into school?! oh wow. Looks like a good meal! And it sounds like you have some good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool teacher, and the recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great meal for your family or for that fact any family! -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Teacher willing to offer slices of Life! A real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never had the exact recipe, but have had it, cooked it, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Michelle, neat wine in class....yummy recipe, looks so good.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's neat that you had a teacher who left such an impresison, and a great recipe to boot! What a valuable experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I will be trying that recipe the next time I have Mom and my sisters over. What easy instructions! I love that your teacher did that. Today everyone is in such a tight box, it's stifling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am ashamed to say that I remember very little of the French I studied for three years in HS! If our French teacher taught us how to make this recipe I'm sure I would have appreciated it, as it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post and even better recipe. Will have to try this method out with the lid on the pan. Never tried it like that. I usually finish it off in the oven. But this is great. I invite you to share your post at my new photo meme that I have started just now on my blog. Link is down below. Thanks!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great memory and she made learning fun. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Probably even I would be able to do this... Thanks for the recipe and the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my favorite recipes to sit down and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michele, that looks heavenly. I haven't had that in I can't remember when.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your memories of cooking with your French class. The recipe sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks good! If someone asks me for a good recipe featuring ham, will let them know of this one. I don't eat ham.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never made any but it sounds like what I get at the butcher's (with a different cheese and minus the sauce!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The best sort of teacher!
    When I was an English language assistant in a French school during my French degree, there was wine on offer for the teachers' lunches in the school canteen. That was back in the 70s and I think has stopped now. It was certainly a shock to me coming from Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whew boy does that look good! My beloved French teacher, Monsieur Murratt, never allowed us to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks fantastic Michelle. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely dish, thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am an eater, not a cook, but I still enjoyed your pix.

    ReplyDelete