Pumpkin, Pumpkin


"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."  

Henry David Thoreau 



I seem to have a lot in common with Mr. Thoreau.  
Autumn is officially a day away and the farmette is awash with pumpkins.  



Even the Lady of the Yard is not immune to my decorative arts.  



When Halloween arrives, a few of these beauties will be carved into Jack-o-Lanterns.  


Based on the Irish legend of, "Stingy Jack", carving pumpkins has been around since the 17th century.  According to one version Jack invites the Devil for a drink, as of course he would.  Jack did not want to pay for the drink, so he persuaded the Devil to turn himself into a coin.  




After which, Jack pocketed the coin.  As, of course he would.  Jack later set the Devil free if he would leave his soul alone.  Jack had later run-ins with the Devil, only to end up being banished from both Heaven and Hell.  


A tough gig, with only a piece of burning coal inside a carved turnip to light his way.  Hence he became forevermore known as, "Jack of the Lantern".  

Irish and Scottish children used turnips, beets, and potatoes to light the way during Gaelic Halloween celebrations, known as Samhain.  




You can find a couple of the traditional turnips versions of a Jack-o-lantern here. 

 I find them rather ghastly and will stick with my pumpkins, though I suppose the ghastly look was the point.  









Comments

  1. I love just a good old plain orange pumpkin, or a white one, without carvings. Need to get a couple for the front porch... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting account of Jack and the devil. At least he won't go to hell. . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pumpkins . . . plump and orange . . .
    And the Stingy Jack Irish story . . .
    We carved turnips a few years ago . . . fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pumpkins are so pretty. I confess - I have never grown pumpkins! Lots of other squash though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to scratch the names of children into the pumpkin with a nail and they'd scab over as they grew. The kids were awed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting. I think I will stick with my pumpkins too. XO Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. People do such ornate carvings these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish we'd grown pumpkins.. I want some and hubby keeps telling me it's too early.. he just doesn't GET. IT. Argh. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you and Thoreau!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one of the things I have never tried ti grow.
    Very nice images. I like the light you included in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have tried growing pumpkins and they never amount to much. I love all things autumn....pumpkins included. Our tradition is to get ours the first weekend in Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never knew any of those facts...well, maybe a few of them...thanks for the eduaction. Jack-o-lanterns are fun for kids but I also prefer my pumpkins completely intact :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not know any of this! I cannot believe that I had not heard any of it before...as for me, I will stick with the pumpkin version, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aren't pumpkins (jacks) the greatest. they are all so different & happy. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting! Just as I finished reading it, my 3-way lamp started getting brighter and dimmer all by itself. Must be some halloween trickster.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting facts and great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Lady of the Yard and all the Pumpkins

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Michelle!:) I never knew where the expression Jack- o -Lantern came from until now. Nice pictures. We make pumpkin soup, and all the family like it. Making masks out of Pumkins is not a tradition over here but I think they are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Friendly Halloween pumpkins are my preference also :) looking forward to seeing yours when carved Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so often learn neat things from you! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love pumpkins, and making the laterns, can't wait now!x

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahhh, small town girl...this is such a delightful post...I LOVE all your pretty pumpkins and the story was icing on the cake...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your pumpkins say "autumn" to me. I love the season and love pumpkins (especially in pie). I had never heard the Jack-o-lantern legend (but then I'm not a huge fan of Halloween, either). Happy autumn to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So so pretty....that's quite the tale!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Autumn! I've never heard that story before... very interesting. I do love your pumpkins, too and your lady of the yard is very pretty. As always, I end up clicking on a couple of the songs from your playlist. I see you've added a couple of new tunes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great pumpkin photos and thanks for the legend story, that was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love pumpkins! Don't care for jack-o-lanterns much but I love the story. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi - have come across from Denise's blog.

    What a great selection of pumpkins ... Happy Autumn / Fall

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Michelle! I haven't been over here for a while. Love your pumpkins - especially the one with the Lady of the Yard!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts