Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Our Lady of Gethsemani Abbey


Yesterday had me with a day off from work.  The Man of the House and I took advantage of the situation and made a very short trip to the Abbey of Gethsemani.  Founded in 1848, the Abbey is home to an Order of the Cistercians of the Strict Observance, more commonly known as Trappist Monks.  




At present around forty monks make this Abbey their home.  They can be seen walking around the property, but the monastery area itself, is marked as private.  The Abbey was home to the famous monk, Thomas Merton, student of comparative religion and social activism.  



Two-thousand acres make up the property and the order utilizes some outside help to work the land.  




They also run a business making fudge and fruitcake with local products, including fine Kentucky Bourbon.   The acreage includes hiking trails and, what looks to be, a walking stick available for the next person.  




The monks are called to prayer seven times a day by the tolling of a bell.  Their day begins at 3:15 a.m.  



Visitors are free to participate in services.  



We missed this service by a few minutes.  


Silence is encouraged and felt throughout the property.  Gardens have signs that indicate no talking.  Even in their gift shop, it was quiet.  The Abbey does offer retreats, which are quit popular.  

You can check out their mail order selections here.   I purchased some of their white chocolate lemon drop fudge and it was excellent.  

 If you live in my area, I highly encourage a visit to this beautiful property.  





29 comments:

  1. looks like a neat place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome place to visit, Michelle. Thank you for the tour and history lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the first photos, from afar, it looks like Switzerland to me! What a lovely abbey! And oh yes, silence. What a luxury for us city dwellers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a special place ~ I have read something of Thomas Merton, would live to visit this monastry!
    The fudge sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an amazing place! We have a similar place here in Oregon.. the Brigittine Monks make fudge and it's amazing. Thanks for sharing ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful place for some quiet contemplation. I would love to walk here and enjoy the solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect way to spend a day off! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice relaxing day.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to tour that area. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a nice little trip! The fudge sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a beautiful place. And so nice you went on a day. I always enjoy my days off. Wish I had more!
    Thanks for coming by. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a serene place to visit and would welcome the idea of not talking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I doubt I will ever get out your way but if I do, I would love to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your narration is incredibly fascinating!!! And your photos are post card perfection. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely abbey and beautiful photos, we've abbeys of the Cistercian Order...the Abbaye de Senenque you may enjoy just a wee peek on their site..http://www.abbayedesenanque.com/ this is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn, these monks came over from France in the early 1800's. Thank you for the link as I will be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is a pretty property and you photographed it beautifully. although i do not understand this religion, i always admire someone's devotion to something they believe in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely images of the Abbey Michelle, it's always a great to visit somewhere serene and peaceful.. I had a look at the website.. good choice with the lemon drop fudge, I've had a sweet craving ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Michelle, I would definitely enjoy a visit to this Abbey. This seems like a "small world" comment, but I seriously do believe I've ordered Fruitcake from them in the past. And it was excellent. Thank you for the post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, their fruitcake is quite famous, so it is likely that you ordered from there!

      Delete
  20. Lovely images. So interesting to learn how people choose to live their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pictures and an interesting background.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That does look like a beautiful place, Michelle. One Trappistine monastery here in Iowa is famous for making caramels. I've heard they're very good, but I've never been out to see the place myself. 3:15 is pretty early to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A fascinating visit and the abbey looks very nice. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard of it, but wouldn't have dreamed it looked like that. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a beautiful, serene place. Worthy of a visit.

      Delete
  25. Wow, what a unique place / posting.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks, for the virtual tour: it is a really beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like a lovely and inspiring place!

    ReplyDelete