Sunday, December 20, 2015

Dark Secrets

Bet you thought I was really going to spill it, huh?  

Not this time, but I will share an old recipe with you.  A cookie recipe that I copied down, on a piece of notebook paper, many years ago.  It comes from a cook in the Bardstown area, known for her wonderful dishes.  Fine, Southern food, but nothing very fancy.  

It does contain candied fruit and raisins.  Two ingredients that I really don't like.  They receive a fine chop, so they aren't that noticeable.  


On the other hand, this recipe does utilize two of my favorite ingredients, Bourbon and butter.  If you are an Ambassador for Maker's Mark, (like me), you receive fun Christmas gifts each year.  A couple of weeks ago the earmuffs arrived, because no one wants their Bourbon to be chilly.  


Some fine chopping, and the help of a Kitchen-Aid mixer, had everything under control.  


The completed dough tasted pretty good, too.  Cinnamon and Nutmeg are prevalent in the flavor profile.  




Taking a moment for a reality check.  Blogging  always shows such states of creativity and perfection.....this is the reality of baking in my kitchen.  



I came out with a wonderful pile of crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, kind of cookies.  


For the finale, a cloth soaked in Bourbon, (that is why it looks so dingy), and a sliced apple go on top of the pile.  It will be covered with a vintage metal cake dome and opened in a few days.  



If you are feeling daring, this holiday season, then this cookie recipe might just be for you.  I will leave you to it.   


Dark Secrets

2 sticks butter
3 cups brown sugar
4 tablespoons sour milk - (one tablespoon vinegar mixed with 1 cup of milk will yield sour milk)
4 eggs
6 1/4 cups self-rising flour
2 cups raisins
1 cup candied fruit
2 cups walnuts
3 teaspoons nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons Maker's Mark Bourbon
**I halved this recipe without a problem.  

Cream butter and sugar.  Add sour milk, eggs, and Bourbon.  In separate bowl, sift the flour and spices together.  (Leave out a cup of the flour mixture to coat the raisins/fruit.)  Then add to the butter mixture.  

Finely chop raisins and fruit.  Mix with the cup of flour and stir into dough mixture.  

Drop the dough with a teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet.  Leave some space as cookies may spread.  Bake 8 minutes at 375 degrees.  

*Store in a tin lined with foil.  Soak a cloth in Bourbon and lay on top.  Slice up an apple and lay on top.  Close up tin for a few days.  

Enjoy!  




45 comments:

  1. I confess I have never heard of covering cookies with a cloth soaked in bourbon before! I bet they're tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. Sounds better than a fruitcake. I might try those. Baking is a big mess at my house, hard as I try not to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I am not a fan of fruitcake and these don't resemble that flavor. I am a very messy cook/baker. No matter how hard I try to stay neat!

      Delete
  3. This looks like a real treat! And thanks for the real-life sight of a kitchen when baking. It's never perfect (Even though yours actually is. Love the black Kitchen Aid Mixer) :)

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, they did come out well! I am a messy cook/baker, so my counter gets like that!

      Delete
  4. Wow. These are so different. I might try it. I'm not a fan of candy fruit either, but the process is so intriguing. Merry Christmas. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's devilish. But I shan't be daring. My thighs and all that, you know... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did taste test one cookie, fresh out of the oven. Pretty good! But, I am hosting a family holiday dinner later this week. I am leaving the rest of the cookies for the thighs of other people :)

      Delete
  6. Now I've seen everything, ear muffs for my Maker's Mark! These cookies look delicious except for the candied fruit part, I may have to substitute raisins or apricots or something/anything else! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You know you don't want that Bourbon to be cold! lol I think apricots would be a great addition and wish I had thought of them! Much better than candied fruit or raisins!

      Delete
  7. I am sure I would like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VP, they are pretty good! You can't go wrong with Bourbon!

      Delete
  8. Oh my! Wonder how many pounds I could gain from these?!! Not sure about the raisins, (my main reason for not trusting chocolate chip cookies until I have tasted them!) but everything else sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I don't like raisins either, but these are so fine they are not that noticeable!

      Delete
  9. Après tout ce travail de préparation, toute cette pâtisserie, qui osera dire qu'il ne faut pas aimer pour régaler tous ceux que nous aimons. Pas moi, certainement car ce que tu fais est une vrai preuve d’amour.
    Belles fêtes de fin d'année, chère Michelle.
    Amitiés.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  10. Ha ha like that idea..... no one wants their Bourbon to be chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this sounds like a good treat. A Maker's Mark Ambassador?! Whoa...I had no idea there was such a thing. When Bill chooses his whiskey, it is that. Cute earmuffs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Com muito bom aspecto devem de ser deliciosas.
    Um Feliz-Natal.
    António.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look delish! Kinda like fruitcake in cookie form! I like the name too.. made your readers wanna know what you were up to! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, only up to my elbows in Bourbon! Fun for this Kentucky girl! They did turn out pretty well. Can't wait to taste them later on this week! Have a good one!

      Delete
  14. OH be still my heart!!! Wow. Not only do they sound heavenly, the look might darned scrumptious!!! And I have always liked deep dark secrets.

    Gonna copy this recipe along with my many thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni, they did turn out pretty good. I am hosting the family Christmas dinner later this week....for the first time...ever. Putting these along with some other desserts. I hope you try them. They were not too difficult and smelled so good! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  15. ummm, they really look and sound good. I love a good fruit cake so would probably love these.
    Thanks for the secret. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, I am so proud of you . . . gettin' out a favorite recipe, and sharing with us.
    Maker's Mark (hmmmm) and butter. Of course it's gonna be good.
    I'm going to make some of these -- and guess what?
    I have the SAME EXACT Kitchen Aid mixer -- in black -- proof we must be connected somehow.
    (I love the Maker's Mark earmuffs -- haven't seen those, YET.)
    I'm printing out this recipe, RIGHT NOW.
    Thank you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick, being an Ambassador for Maker's Mark is FREE, just register at their website. You will get a barrel with your name on it and free gifts at Christmas. I do live close, so I can visit, but you can get some fun benefits through the mail. Enjoy!

      Delete
  17. Wow - that's a special recipe - love the dipping with the Bourbon together the the apples! And the idea of being an ambassador for Maker's Mark!
    Merry and Joyous Christmas to you, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yummy, those cookies look so good. Thanks for sharing,Francine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmm. Pass one, please. Heck, pass two.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well it looks like it might be tasty . . .
    Bet the fragrance is enticing . . .
    Reminds me of my mother's famous bourbon fruit bread . . ..
    Not sure I ever tasted it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Intriguing recipe! I must try these. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks delicious, but would spike my bloodsugars to heavens and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where do you even get candied fruit? I guess it's in the baking aisle? I have never used it. Looks like a unique recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cookies do look delicious! And your kitchen doesn't look nearly as messy as mine does when I bake! I usually get flour everywhere--but try to use very few dishes, so the clean-up is relatively easy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A stack of cookies covered in a Bourbon soaked cloth? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh i love recipes, thank you for sharing. i will see when i can make it. what fun!! ( :
    Merry Christmas to you & the family.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmm. Kinda looks like fruit cake. Which I'm not a fan. But, I'm sure a whole bunch of other people enjoyed your post. I just enjoyed visiting and seeing you dog in the header. It always makes me smile.
    Hope you have a wonderful week.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Bourbon and butter sold me!

    ReplyDelete