Sunday, August 21, 2016

Saving Seeds



I mentioned earlier this summer that I had some Four O'Clocks growing here at the farmette.  A favorite of mine as I remember them from childhood.  My Grandmother Bird always grew them at her house in Kentucky.  She would send my mom envelopes of the seeds when we lived in North Dakota.  




Needless to say, no one else in the neighborhood, or maybe the entire Air Force Base, had these growing in their flower beds.  Standing around 24 inches tall at maturity, they get their name because they open late in the afternoon.  It's really the drop in temperature that does the trick.  On cool summer days, they stay open all day long.  




When the seeds turn black, they will fall off and self-sow, giving you plenty of plants for the next growing season.  They do form tuberous roots which help them come back year, after year.  

This season I am collecting plenty of seeds to spread their joy around the farmette.   


"Just living is not enough.....one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."  

Hans Christian Anderson 




17 comments:

  1. Lovely . . .
    I really like it that you are sowing the seeds around the farmette . . .
    More lovely indeed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome - a memory that continues on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I save hollycock seeds every year, but up until now I never managed to actually have hollycocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, the farmette will be lovely with all these seeds turning into blooms. Happy memories. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of them. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love 4 o'clocks, too. Used to gather in Granny's yard just to watch them open up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love saving seeds
    for next year.
    Getting involved for what goes where.
    Fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty....I love flowers that are a little different like that...opening later is a fun little feature!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i never heard of them either but they are lovely and good they will be flowering around the farm more

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning, how great to save and sow the seeds, love that.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful flowers and I like the fact that they come back every year without having to be planted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOHH!! I'm going to start saving seeds now of my favorites and plant them around. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So joyful, to save and share seeds!! It's a pretty flower!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed the beautiful photos and the lovely quote! Awesome that the four-o'clocks have a history in your family. We grow cannas descended from the bulbs my great grandfather grew. They're a favorite of mine, as the hummingbirds love to visit them in late summer. They're just starting to bloom now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love that they are a reminder of your grandma :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. my mama grew these, too and I had forgotten....yours are so pretty

    ReplyDelete